Topic Options
#87687 - 02/15/06 07:18 AM Chicken with a boo-boo
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
This is the second chicken I have had to doctor. I didn't know I needed to be a VET when I bought them.... This is the second time this chicken has been in the house, guess I put her back out to soon. She has a good size gash on her side, from the roosters I think. Question is-The wound is quite dirty from dirt baths I think. It's got shavings, dirt all sorts of yuck in it. I cleaned it out pretty good but I know I didn't get it all out. How much digging around should I do, should I let it help up with crap in it. She is pretty good about sitting still but Im sure it doesn't feel good. Any thoughts about putting or not putting some antibiotic cream inside the flap? Any thoughts about using like a liquid bandage product to hold the flap together? I know your not supose to seal up a puncture wound on a human but what about a flap on a chicken? Thinks she needs antibiotics? and where would I get them if she did? Wound kinda stunk last night but not as bad this AM. What about stitches? I can't really stitch skin to muscle and the flap doesn't cover it, cuz I had to trim the dead stuff of the last time she was in??????????? HELP I want my bathroom back, tired of it being a chicken hospital/ER!

#87688 - 02/15/06 10:05 AM Re: Chicken with a boo-boo
Cranberry Creek Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
I can't help you there but if hens are getting cut it could be a result of roosters having long spurs which I would recommend that you remove before more get hurt if thats the case. Good luck!

#87689 - 02/15/06 10:39 AM Re: Chicken with a boo-boo
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
A wound should be fresh if it is going to be sutured (this would include the liquid bandage). Clean it good, get out all possible dirt, shavings, etc. Flush with peroxide and then put some iodine on it--either dab it with a rag or gauze or pour on a small amount. Do not use cotton balls as they leave bits of cotton behind. If the wound seems infected (you see pus or it smells as you said), you might do this twice a day for a couple days. Both substances can be hard on new growing tissue so don't contine for longer than a few days. You can use some antibiotic ointment (like triple antibiotic or Neosporin) in it after each cleaning. As far as returning her, try some VICKS ointment (like you put on your chest for a cold). Chickens don't like the taste and won't pick at it. Don't use a generic, the ingredients are different and I learned the hard way it doesn't work as well. I had a hen with a pretty good wound and it healed up nicely with this regimen, and she wasn't pestered by the others (I never separated her).

#87690 - 02/15/06 11:27 AM Re: Chicken with a boo-boo
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
I am a novice to chickens as well but have gone through the same thing with a huge gaping wound from a dog attack. Here is what worked for me: dirty wounds must be cleaned out (the RN in me speaking here!). If you can get a blunt tip syringe or a bulb syringe-like for babies noses you are all set. I would make a very weak solution of water and betadine and draw it up and squirt into all areas of the wound to try to flush out debris and exudate. Once I was pretty sure I had gotten the wound reasonably clean I began twice daily soakings of my hen. Warm water and betadine, just enough to turn the water like very weak tea. Set the bird down in to submerge the wound and soak for 5-10 minutes (mine just loved this part!). Then rinse and dry completely, warm blow dryer works. Get some Icthammol ointment,comes in a little tube like antibiotic oint but it is a nasty black thick stuff, availabe a WallyMart and pharmacies..you may have to ask the pharmacist for it. This stuff seems to draw out infection and prevents bacteria from multiplying. Coat the wound thickly inside and around the edges and cover with gauze pad. wrap with gauze roll and vet wrap...it will hold beautifully. I did this twice daily for about 3 days, using a new gauze pad each time and re-using the roll and wrap. Things looked so much better that I went to once a day for the rest of the week. This healed wonderfully, no infection whatsoever and what a dirty wound it was! Remember to encourage protein for healing, cottage cheese cat food etc. I released this hen back to her flock after about 10 days and kept the wound covered with vet wrap till it really healed well, nobody messed with her. I swear buy Icthammol, have used it for various injuries and even used it on my poor roo who was getting pecked terrible at the base of his tail. Bloody mess! BUT after applying the ointment...no more pecking, it must taste as nasty as it smells! Good luck!

#87691 - 02/15/06 11:29 AM Re: Chicken with a boo-boo
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
Betadine solution (not ointment) is available at WalMart and most pharmacies and large groceries have it...a little goes a long way!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2