Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87709 - 11/21/07 09:31 AM HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Heart Dog Offline
Chick

Loc: New York
This afternoon when I went down to water the chickens and turkeys and I noticed one of our turkeys laying on the barn aisle with his head under his wing. I got him up and saw that his his snood is inflamed, filled with fluid, hot and a mottled purple color. It is very swollen across his eye ,too.He does not feel well. My son thinks our terrier may have snapped at him thrpugh the fence yesterday and caught him in the face. At feeding time last night he was strutting and seemed fine. On close inspection it looks like there may be 2 puncture wounds one a little below the eyes in the middle of the snood and the other down lower and to the left. I flushed them with saline after I pulled the little scabs off, they drained a bit and I put Neosporin on. I checked him a litlle while ago and he has his face buried under his wing and does not want to move. I am thinking of maybe applying some warm compresses. Please, does anyone know what else I can do for him? He looks absolutely miserable.Thank you!

#87710 - 11/24/07 05:20 PM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Brian3656 Offline
Feather

Loc: Washington
Hello Heartdog,
I just saw your post and wondered how your turkey is doing? If it were me, I'd probably be doing the same thing you are...putting Neosporin on his wounds 2-3 times a day. Before that, you might also try using hydrogen peroxide using a Q-tip being careful to avoid his eyes. Animal bites leave all sorts of bacteria in a wound and often that causes more trouble then the actual trauma. Good luck and I hope he's getting better.
~Brian

#87711 - 11/25/07 10:01 AM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Heart Dog Offline
Chick

Brian,
Thanks for replying. He stopped eating and drinking Wednesday night and he died Thanksgiving morning. He had some purple blotchs under the skin... frown

Our second turkey started getting a swollen snood on Wednesday and by Thanksgiving he was miserable and wouldn't eat or drink. But on Friday morning he ate and drank a lot. His snood and under his left eye was really swollen and the eye was closed. His poops had been normal and he has had 3 that were runny but they look like they have firmed up again. He seems to have slowly inproved over the past few days. Although he seems quieter this morning. Yesterday he was a bit of his pushy self. Swelling has gone down a lot, appetite good if I hand feed. I cannot find a vet who can or will help. The ones I have spoken to suggest slaughtering him. I can't even get him antibiotics..This is sooooo frustrating because I don't know what to do for him. Our third turkey seems to be just fine so far. Any suggestions and thoughts are most appreciated! Thanks!

#87712 - 11/25/07 06:59 PM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Anonymous
Unregistered

there is a vitamin and electrolytes you should be able to get at a feed store it helps a lot. the brand i use is durvet but there are other ones

#87713 - 11/25/07 08:44 PM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Brian3656 Offline
Feather

Hi Heartdog,
Ouch...I'm sorry that you lost your bird. That's always a sad deal. Whatever it is, it's quick and probably not from a dog bite. KF's recommendation for vitamins and electrolytes is a good one. We give our chickens Russell brand after the State poultry vet recommended that we give our birds vitamins. The last package I bought was $3.79. Instead of giving it in the water, we simply spinkle a tiny bit on their chow once a week or so.

Hearing about your other bird makes me wonder if it's a dietary deficiency or other disease. Besides the vitamin thing, you could consider offering some tetracycline also available at the feed store. It's a broad range antibiotic but only a shot in the dark... You might have success. I'm no vet but understand the frustration not being able to help when an animal is sick. Professional treatment by a vet, that is if it can be found, is expensive. I've learned that time is always of the essence with birds and illness. Good luck.
~Brian

#87714 - 11/26/07 06:15 AM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Heart Dog Offline
Chick

I lost him this morning? frown I had put Terramyacin in his water and he was drinking it. Dietery wise the turkeys get Purina Gamebird feed and greens plus, they free range all day. The cold part looked like it was clearing up but yesterday he got all droopy and would fall asleep quickly. I am wondering if maybe it was blackhead. He had a bluish tinge to his wattle and cheeks this morning. I have one more turkey (Mr Nilson) amd wondering if I should do anything for him. He seems fine, he is out strutting in the yard right now. I'll be disinfecting the coops today and getting all the bedding out.
I have that supplement mentioned I think I will add it to Nilsen's feed. The frustrating part was not finding a vet that would help and not knowing what is wrong with them. confused
Thanks so much..

#87715 - 11/26/07 07:09 AM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Brian3656 Offline
Feather

Shoot. Sorry to hear that news. I've never seen Blackhead but the thought crossed my mind. You could send the body in for analysis if you wanted to know for sure. Your state probably has a poultry extention lab or avian lab that could do it for a fee--it's $20 in our state of Washington, plus the cost of shipping. In some states, it might even be free.

I hope Mr. Nilson remains healthy. A tiny bit of the vitamin/electrolytes goes a long way. The package will tell you the dose for mixing in water. Good luck with all this, Heartdog.
~Brian

#87716 - 11/26/07 02:33 PM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
That's the sad part about Blackhead. My Poultry Diseases teacher said there is no outward appearance on the head of a "blackhead." You can see target-like lesions on the liver and that's caused by holes in the cecae allowing nastiness to go into the blood stream. The hepatic portal vein takes this nastiness to the liver and the cycle just repeats itself.

I have a feeling the snood is a secondary infection. The purple splotches underneath his skin is a symptom of something. Let me look it up in my notes, I'm sure I've heard of that in one of my notes.

You say the snood was draining, so I'm pretty sure it was bacterial. I'm guessing there was pain, you said swelling and heat, so I'm going to definately say bacterial. Only going on the swollen face, I'd say it was Fowl Cholera, but I can't be sure without a necropsy.

Here's a website that has the info on Fowl Cholera. Hopefully it will help.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202600.htm

#87717 - 11/26/07 04:51 PM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Heart Dog Offline
Chick

Thanks so much! I initially was thinking that the first turkey (Tommy) may have had Erysipelas. He had the purple blotches ,an extremely swollen, weeping snood, he went very fast,
The second turkey, Butterball started (on Wednesday) with a swollen snood and swelling under the left eye. The swelling was going down within 24 hours. His appetite was very good and he was drinking. On Saturday I was thinking he was going to make it. But Sunday he was droopy and kept falling asleep. Ate and drank Sunday night, although not with his previous gusto and this morning(Monday) I found him dead. Below are some photos of Butterball the day before he died. The snood has gone way down and his eye was opened up.
In the bottom photo you can see the darkening on his face. It eventually darkened the wattle too...
Brian, I should have had him tested! Dh had buried him before I saw your post.
Thank you!

#87718 - 11/26/07 06:32 PM Re: HELP! Turkey with Infected Snood!
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
So sorry heartdog. Find out now where your State Vet. lab is located and how to get a carcass to them quickly. Be prepared and ready to go IF you lose another one, the sooner they get it, the better. I think they prefer the carcass to be refrigerated...call and check. You need to find out what is happening for certain. I am very sad about your losses.

I have a State Vet. branch just 5 minutes from here but they charge $65 for a necropsy! I lost one hen to a sudden mysterious death but opted not to have her tested (when I found out how much it would cost!) Had I lost another one the same way I would have taken it right away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2