Topic Options
#87722 - 09/09/06 02:36 PM crop problem or something else
Anonymous
Unregistered

2 days agao, my silkie pullet was just a bit too easy to catch and anxious to miss her roosting spot. I thought it might be a little bullying but I checked her out she was fine, her crop felt different from the others. Yesterday she was more slow and looked to be in slow motion, but with normal green-white topped poo. Her crop felt the same so I flushed it and fed her some yogurt. Today she is about the same, she has eaten, but now has diarrhea(yellowish clear, no blood).
Am I treating the wrong thing? Does she have another problem? Any insight would be appreciated.
She thanks you in advance, and is checking my spelling for me, on my lap.

confused Sincerely, Melissa

#87723 - 09/10/06 04:53 AM Re: crop problem or something else
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Hello Melissa

"crop problem" This is a topic that comes up often. It is also a topic I have spent a good deal of time researching. All of my research has only brought me to this conclusion, many things affect the way the crop performs. Just as many illnesses cause us (humans) some form of digestive distress the same is true with our feathered friends. The problem may be in the crop but could easily be an infection, viral, bacterial, or fungal, not located in the crop itself but affecting the crops normal operation. Have you read “crop trouble” located in the “health related links”? Health Related Links is one of the featured posts here at the top of the health forum.

In what manor did you flush the crop? A flush will cause diarrhea as well as too much yogurt. No harm done if that is the case. You should isolate her and monitor her closely. Keep us updated.

Bill L

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2