Topic Options
#87740 - 05/03/07 07:19 AM Fading Hen
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a two year old Belgian D'Uccle who is very tiny and usually very noisy andenergetic. A few days ago, about four, she was acting mopey and dumpy, but I thought it was the old weather. But when it warmed up and she remained the same I brought her down to the house. She's not moving, just standing hunched up, won't eat anything anymore, not even her favorites and hasn't made a sound. She has a gooey liquid coming out of her back end and I suspect a rooster jumped on her and broke an egg inside her. I've given her honey in water, water being the only thing that will perk her up. She just drinks and drinks.... She's very weak, hasobviously lost weight, and seems pretty out of it. Is there anything else I can do to perk her up? To get her to eat?

#87741 - 05/03/07 07:46 PM Re: Fading Hen
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
If an egg has broken inside her there isn't much you can do. If you want to give it the effort you can put her in a somewhat confined space (box, dog crate, etc) keep the light dim/dark and pump some antibiotics into her. Problem is they get an abdominal infection from the broken egg. Keep giving her the honey water and be creative with food. While she is ill she won't want to eat, her body isn't in a position to handle food and she knows it. Try soaking some bread in water, try yogurt, oatmeal... She may not make it anyway so this is up to you how much effort you put into trying. Everyone's position in this circumstance. Sometimes just knowing you did all you could makes you feel better if you are emotionally attached to the bird. Some would rather end the suffering quickly. Neither is "wrong".

#87742 - 05/09/07 12:03 PM Re: Fading Hen
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

So far she is looking better. She's not as slumpy, though she's clearly still weak. I can't get her to eat much, and what she does eat has to be floating in the water. Pretty much all she does is drink, and she has yellowish to greenish liquid oozing out her back end almost constantly. If there was egg in her I think it's passed, but it just keep oozing, as if everything that goes into her just comes right back out. her poos are in frequent and very green. I'm not sure what to do now.

#87743 - 05/10/07 01:10 AM Re: Fading Hen
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Keep up with the honey water. It will give her energy. Try a little asidopholis yoghurt. If she has a bacterial infection in her gut, that may help to balance out the "bad" bacteria. Boiled egg, mashed is often welcome, as are soft fruits such as grapes. Antibiotics are also worth considering. I use Baytril liquid, and find it works well.

#87744 - 05/10/07 06:53 AM Re: Fading Hen
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

I gave her Terrmycin, it's all I have, a few days ago and that really seemed to snap her out of a good part of her funk. She won't eat any more yogurt though. I'm going to try some egg, though she won't eat any of her favorite foods so i don't know if she'll eat a strange food. Thanks for the advice.

#87745 - 05/17/07 10:22 PM Re: Fading Hen
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Hi Zuzy, How is she now? Did she make it?

#87746 - 05/18/07 06:21 AM Re: Fading Hen
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

She's still just completely lethargic. She eats, but only a little. Mostly stands in one place or sleeps all day, and she is as light as a feather and very weak. I'm afraid she will simply starve to death and I don't even know why she's so sick. Occasionally she will have a very emerald green poo, but mostly she has nasty goop coming out of her. I felt her crop this morning and it was full and a little hard, but I don't know if it is blocked or just not moving through well.

#87747 - 05/18/07 11:46 AM Re: Fading Hen
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

She just died about twenty minutes ago. She wouldn't drink at all this morning, and she was just getting limper and limper. I knew she wouldn't make it through the day..... She fought for two weeks, but I guess she just couldn't stay any longer. At least she isn't suffering now.

#87748 - 05/18/07 02:29 PM Re: Fading Hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry fopr your loss Zuzy Sometimes we try but to no avail. Like you said she iisn't suffering any longer.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2