Topic Options
#87753 - 01/30/08 09:45 AM Frostbite
Sir's Lady Offline
Feather

Loc: Wisconsin
How do you help a chicken with severe frostbite in his feet? He's alive, but he's a big guy and what can we do to help him get along? We were thinking maybe a sling for a couple of days so he wouldn't have to stand. Right now he's lying on his side, and we've got him to eat and drink a little.

#87754 - 01/30/08 11:27 AM Re: Frostbite
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Now that's a problem. My barred rock rooster had frostbite in his toes as well. You could attempt to make a sling, but he may have trouble getting to food and water. Is it completely black on the feet? Where does the frostbite end on his foot? Can you post pictures? Unfortanetly which feet you have to worry about gangrene getting to the bones. Once that happens there is little to no chance of the bird surviving for long. Is there a discharge coming from his feet? Keep him in a warm place so that he doesn't have to fight the cold outside.

#87755 - 01/30/08 02:33 PM Re: Frostbite
Sir's Lady Offline
Feather

Maybe it's not that bad, because nothing's black. Mostly he's just lying on his side in a bathroom, and won't stand on them. Everything is very red and raw, and cold after 8 hours in the house. If we do end up putting him in a sling we'll put food and water where he can get it.

#87756 - 01/30/08 02:58 PM Re: Frostbite
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Ok. If it was black it means the tissue has already died. Is there anything wrong with his feet that you can tell? How is his comb looking? Does it have black on it? How cold has it been there?

#87757 - 01/30/08 03:13 PM Re: Frostbite
Sir's Lady Offline
Feather

Whoops. Edit. I just went to check on him, his toes are black but everything else is very red, swollen, and still cold. He won't stand, he's been on his side for 8 hours. He will drink a very little if I dip his beak in water. He did eat some bread earlier but hasn't/won't now.

#87758 - 01/30/08 07:26 PM Re: Frostbite
Sir's Lady Offline
Feather

Update: I don't think he's going to make it. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I could use them. He's not responding to pretty much anything, and he's extremlely sluggish. I can't get him to drink.

#87759 - 01/30/08 07:48 PM Re: Frostbite
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

It may already be too late. When a bird doesn't eat and you're having to force him to drink it's not a good sign.

You could try this:
Use some hot/warm water and put it in his feed. I'm assuming you feed crumbles or pellets with this advice. This will make a warm mash. Now, hold him up (somewhat standing up but you are supporting him). I mean, allow his feet to touch the ground, but don't let him fall over etc. Use a spoon or have someone hold the dish of warm mash and show him it's good to eat. Then let him eat it on his own.

He could be in shock. Being sluggish and not responding is a sign of shock. Is his entire body cold? When you found him, was he shaking (as if to warm himself)? Or was he beyond the shivering stage?

#87760 - 02/03/08 08:37 AM Re: Frostbite
Goonie Bird Offline
New Egg

Loc: Indiana
I had a guinea with frostbitten toes last year. Your rooster sounds just like my little Mike. He was listless and would not stand, eat or drink. I gave him sulfadimethoxine I found in the bird health section at the local pet store. I used a medicine dropper to get him to take it. I also hand fed him Calf Manna pellets to give him vitamins and minerals. I teated him this way for about 2 months before he improved. His toes all ended up falling off. One foot now has just the ball of his foot, and he lost half of each toe on his other foot. He's still alive today and acts just like his buddy Martha. He follows her around to chase bugs. He does have to live in my basement in the winter (He's been inside since Thanksgiving) but he is still healthy and happy. I hope this helps!

#87761 - 02/03/08 08:02 PM Re: Frostbite
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Nothing wrong with keeping a chicken in the house! I don't know why people look at us with shock? smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2