Topic Options
#87816 - 06/26/06 06:54 AM Abnormal peachicks?
Cat Offline
New Egg

Loc: Scotland
I have 3 peachicks that are all almost 1 week old. The first one hatched is now up on his feet, eating and drinking. The other 2 are a worry. One we have named "splits" as that is what it does. Both it's legs are out to it's sides and it can not stand. The other one lies on it's side and also can not stand (it just falls over). I am worried the incubating hen did not turn them enough. Does anyone have any suggestions or can help? I would hate to put them down but as each day goes on I am fearing that is what i will have to do.

#87817 - 06/26/06 08:35 AM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Go to http://www.rockingtranch.com/spraddle.html

This must be done as soon as possible after hatch and can be too late, if delayed. Chicken/chicks do some flopping and flipping to get used to the supports. I do not know if Peachicks are as courageous. It is important to keep them eating and drinking--so they must adjust to the supports rather quickly. It is worth a try for your peachicks--and I hope you can help them. Once the bone has hardened in the hip joint, there is nothing you can do. Good luck, CJR

#87818 - 06/28/06 12:18 PM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
Cat Offline
New Egg

Thank you so much. I fear I may be too late. I am not doing very well, the one that was born first has swollen up like he has water retention all over. Have I done something else wrong? Thank you once again
Cat

#87819 - 06/28/06 01:23 PM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Cat< I am sorry that I have no experience with peachicks. For Splay legs on chickenchicks, the support works beautifully--but MUST be done before the bone hardens, just a couple of days after hatch, usually.

Is the first-hatched little thing pasty-bottomed or is the vent plugged? If so, wipe with damp soft tissue or cloth, to help the chick eliminate. Retained poop, is also a life threatening problem. Wish I could be of more help. CJR

#87820 - 06/29/06 09:43 AM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
Cat Offline
New Egg

It is passing no problem but is an unhealthy colour. I think he may have a bacterial infection but not sure. I splinteded the other chicks legs together and he is now walking around fine (with the band aid on). Whether I did it before the bones fused time will tell. Thank you for that great advice. I am learning a lot!!!!

#87821 - 06/29/06 11:03 AM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Leave the bandaide on for at least a week. The little fellow will soon pay no attention to it. When you snip it off, if it is walking like normal peafowl, you are a good vet. If the legs seem to slip a bit--IMMEDIATELY resplint for at least another week. Hope it will be as good as normal! The other little one??--I can't say--I almost never use antibiotics (Tylan, rarely, for pasting--once had to use Sulmet for coccidiosis, would obtain Amprolium, if I needed it again--that is a real job, but can save birds.)

You might contact Sally, who raises Peacocks in Florida. See if you can find a post of hers on the Topic line below: RATITES, etc. Then you can send her a Private message. Good luck CJR

#87822 - 06/30/06 01:22 AM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
Cat Offline
New Egg

Many thanks for all your help especially with the splints as that chick is now going from strength to strength. The other peachick has died, but perhaps it is what would have happened in nature. It amazes me how quickly they can suddenly go down hill.

#87823 - 06/30/06 07:24 AM Re: Abnormal peachicks?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Cat, We are happy for every success and sad for those that do not thrive and can not live. Hope the two will grow to be the beauties of their kind! CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2