Topic Options
#87900 - 05/15/08 07:13 AM My chicks are dying. HELP

I had eggs hatched out at a hatchery the other day. He calls me and says come get your chicks they are dying as they are hatching out. I lost 5. Then after I get them home and all settled another one dies. Then last night another. They seem fine and then all of a sudden they start peeping really loud and making their little legs go and then they are dead. They have heat and feed and water, so what's up? Any ideas.

#87901 - 05/15/08 05:26 PM Re: My chicks are dying. HELP
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
I'm confused. Why would a hatchery sell chicks that are dying and why would somebody accept them?

#87902 - 05/15/08 05:55 PM Re: My chicks are dying. HELP

Didn't mean for it to be confusing. The chicks that I picked up were mine. I took eggs there to be hatched. Someone elses were dying too.

#87903 - 05/15/08 08:40 PM Re: My chicks are dying. HELP
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
This would seem like something bacterial caught at the hatchery and perhaps a broad spectrum antibiotic would help.

Occasionally, in a clutch, I will have a normal, healthy-looking chick just lay down & die-- it will happen suddenly with no apparent pain, it is always just one. By you having many deaths, there is some bad bug about. Are they on a coccidiostat?

Maybe give them some vitamin/ elctrolyte supplements too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
1 registered (blueflag), 51 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box