Topic Options
#87909 - 01/27/08 08:43 PM chicken hic cup with bubbles coming out of eyes
Chook Boy Offline
Feather

Loc: Australia
One of our chicken today constantly hic cup (sound more like constant sneezing) but it repeats like a hic cup. We thought maybe something is stuck in its throat so we caught it and tried to pour some water down its throat. Upon close study we notice the eyes had lots of water bubbles on both side (probably due to us forcing water down its throat?). The water bubble covers half of each eyes. We decided to keep her separated from the rest of the flock. Anyone have this problem before?

#87910 - 01/27/08 10:10 PM Re: chicken hic cup with bubbles coming out of eyes
Chook Boy Offline
Feather

Had a look at her again, when she isn't hip cupping, she makes loud breathing sound. When i attempt to move her the hip cup starts again. She looks fine when we let her out in the open, she walks around with the constant hic cup.

#87911 - 01/28/08 01:21 AM Re: chicken hic cup with bubbles coming out of eyes
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Sounds a lot like a chicken I had which had a partially crushed windpipe. It had a fold in it rather like what you'd expect to see if you bent a plastic drinking straw. This might have been done by the mother standing on its throat when it was very little. I don't recall when I noticed it first but it was certainly making that sound by the time it was 6 weeks old. It was a very poor doer, so in the end we dispatched it and did an autopsy which is how I discovered what was wrong with it.

If this has only been a recent thing with your chicken (you don't say how old it is) I would certainly suspect something respitory. If it's eating and drinking, and does not seem too distressed, or getting worse, runny eyes, beak etc, you might just have to wait a see if anything further develops, or it gets better. Don't try to force water down its throat. It's a very good way to cause more problems, or drown it. Isolate from the others if you can, at least until you can establish if it is contagious. If it has a folded windpipe, you may be able to feel it, but you need to be very gentle probing its throat. Keep us posted on her progress.

#87912 - 01/28/08 01:48 PM Re: chicken hic cup with bubbles coming out of eyes
Chook Boy Offline
Feather

Thanks Foehn but dad decided to put her down because he said she was getting too noisy and it seems like she was suffering.

She was about 6 months old white Rock frown

#87913 - 01/28/08 03:19 PM Re: chicken hic cup with bubbles coming out of eyes
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
I can't say for sure as I don't know your flock history but it sounds very similar to a problem I had with infectious larygotracheitis I had in my flock last year. I depopulated and started over.

Richard

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2