Topic Options
#87922 - 07/27/09 08:11 PM I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
I did the crop surgery! It didn't go too bad. I have a few concerns right now though. The cockeral is about 8 weeks old and very thin. I doubt he reaches 1 1/2 lbs. I didn't close the crop opening because my vet wouldn't sell me any surgery thread (didn't get back with me, so I took that as a no) but stitched the skin with fishing line. My crop hole is probably no more than a 1/2 inch long and I hope that is considered small. When I pulled out that wad of hay it stretched open to a round hole about the size of my base fingernail, so I'm hoping it closes on its own.

I gave him a shot of Pen G, but with no meat on him, I think I hit a vein in the thigh because I found a pinkish tinge in the needle afterward. I hope I didn't go in his body cavity. I gave him the very smallest amount possible on a 1 ml needle. About 2 one hundreths if that sounds right. Way less than a tenth of a ml. The bottle said 1 ml per hundred pounds.

He seems more weak after the surgery than before the surgery. Was leaning against the cage while trying to stand and then sits on his hocks. But he already managed to pull the iodine soaked gauze pad out from under the gauze wrap I put around him! I didn't want to bother hubby with another request to bandage the bird, during surgery he was already saying shooting it would be quicker, for the bird, so the outer wrapping will have to do for now.

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for antibiotic use during this healing period? I have on hand water soluble Aureomycin and water soluble Oxytetracycline. And injectable Pen G, and injectable Tylan 50. But I'd rather avoid needles. Too much handling of the bird and I'm afraid of busting up the healing process.

I almost forgot. I have two and a half tablets of Baytril left over from use on a small dog. That would probably be the best choice but when should I administer it, how should I administer it and what quantity? 1/4 tablet a day or what? Bottle says 22.7 mg. Does that sound right? Seems high if thats per tablet.

#87923 - 07/28/09 05:18 AM Re: I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
For next time, you can use a tiny dab of crazy glue instead of stitches for the crop itself. I suspect the hole will seal up though. Keep him on just water for 24 hours, then try water with honey in it for the energy it contains. After 48 hours, if the space between the crop and the skin has not filled with fluids, try small amounts of soft foods...whole wheat bread soaked in milk, a saucer of yoghurt, that sort of thing. I doubt you need the antibiotics if you washed your hands well before the surgery. Keep us all posted the next couple of days, OK?

#87924 - 07/28/09 08:00 AM Re: I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Well, I did wash and sanitize my hands and boiled and rubbed alcohol over all the instruments. Of course, feathers on the bird and stuff coming out of his crop kind of unsterilizes the area, but we rinsed the wound area with sterile water after we were done digging and soaked with iodine after we were done stitching. But I would still feel better giving him antibiotics. Anyone have any idea how I should administer the Baytril? Disolve it in his water or see it he will eat a quarter tablet. I think a quarter tablet once a day would do it. My dog was 7 lbs and he got half a tablet twice a day.
Well, I starting giving him water with vitamins and electrolytes last night. It also contained a little bit of honey. I thought I had read somewhere you could give that the first 24 hours. Hope it doesn't do harm. He is up and awake this morning trying to eat anything that comes near the cage. So far he left the paper towels on floor of his cage alone. I didn't leave the water in his cage afraid he would drink too much or turn it over, so I give it to him every two or three hours and he's ready for it. He's still kind of weak and a little unsteady, but more alert.

I moved the skin around this morning as advised and I can see the swelling and feel the wound where I cut the crop. Am I supposed to move the skin over that area also? I'm surprised you can use glue on an inside wound like that. I had some liquid bandaid here, but never thought to use it inside, fearing it would harm him. I also thought about using it to bring his skin together but was afraid that wasn't its purpose and wouldn't hold, so I opted for the stitches.

Hubby was so sure I was going to kill it, he had the body bag ready!! I hope I don't lose him to infection.

#87925 - 07/28/09 08:15 AM Re: I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Skip the iodine now, as it kills healthy tissue. If he's up and moving around, you may not need to move his skin around any more. You can try the baytril, if it makes you feel better, but you will need to give yoghurt for about a week after, as it will kill off the friendly bacteria he has and may let fungus grow and kill him. Generally, no antibiotics are better, as the risk of sour crop offsets their benefit. The equation changes though, if the wound smells or gets hot and swollen..then use antibiotics.

#87926 - 07/28/09 09:26 AM Re: I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thanks. Ok, didn't know that about iodine. Will get that off of him. Whats it used for then? What should I put in its place? Antibiotic ointment?

#87927 - 07/28/09 03:22 PM Re: I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Use polysporin or the like, and I use honey instead.
Iodine is great for navels of newborns to dry up the cord and kill the tissue. It's not so great for tissue you want to save. Plain old honey works quite well.

#87928 - 07/29/09 01:36 AM Re: I did it!! Post-op advice needed!
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
For outside stitching, dental floss works quite well.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2