Topic Options
#87929 - 11/21/07 11:12 AM broken wing--7 mo old chinese gander
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
yesterday a.m., getting into the frey of a gander fight, our doxie,on the outside of the pen, grabbed the wing feathers of our white chinese through the hog wire, and pulled, hard and long, 'til i could get there. the wing was most of the way through. i stuck the gander into our "infirmary" and watched it. the wing is bloody and dangling on the ground. otherwise the gander looks okay--wants to get back into the gaggle--(16 altogether, 7 ganders, most of which are vying for #1 place).

i don't know what's best to do. he's a magnificent bird--or was; now he's pretty bedraggled. bedrest and a permanently dragging wing? amputate the wing? if so, how? it's at the joint--the primaries are dragging on the ground. i'm keeping him isolated for now because i'm afraid the other big ganders will whale him if and when they get to him.

any advice? any way to stabilize the wing, wh/ i assume is broken? he's not exactly tame, but my husband and i can hold him still; but then what? in lieu of any advice i intend to keep him isolated until a better alternative raises itself. thanks for reading this.

#87930 - 11/21/07 06:12 PM Re: broken wing--7 mo old chinese gander
Ducks-n-Geese Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
I had a duck with a broken wing. The vet agreed to amputate it (it's bone was sticking out of the wing.. a compound fracture on the bottom joint)... and she gave the duck Versed (lol) and it went into surgery..lol... and was totally fine afterwards. The bill was 100.00.

My friend told me that she gets a scissors and some mud and cuts the wing off at the joint and then sticks the mud on the wound and that's all.

I dont' really know what to suggest.

#87931 - 11/21/07 06:14 PM Re: broken wing--7 mo old chinese gander
Ducks-n-Geese Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Oh, I had bandaged the wing first. I found out how on the internet. I think I googled "bird + broken wing + bandage" You go over the bad wing and then around the breast and then under the good wing, so that the good wing can still move. Don't do it too tight, obviously, so it doesn't restrict breathing....

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2