Topic Options
#87932 - 04/04/05 05:24 AM Blood Red Vent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
Over the past 2 days I have lost 2 chicks at night. They all seem fine during the day and they are dead in the morning. They have a blood red vents. Any help would be appreciated. I hope not to loose any more.
Thanks

#87933 - 04/04/05 06:00 AM Re: Blood Red Vent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom-
A little more information is needed: Age? Feed? Housing? Density?
And by "blood red vents", are you saying they were actually bleeding?

TC
cool

#87934 - 04/04/05 12:08 PM Re: Blood Red Vent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
Feed: Purina medicated chick starter
Housing: 3' x 3' (12" tall) square wire brooders in basement
Density: 13 to start...down to 11

They seem healthy and happy except two died in two nights. I have raised so many birds over the last few years and have yet to see anything like this. They were completely fine in appearance except for their vents and surrounding skin. It was deep red in color - not bloody. I disinfect the brooder weekly, replace water 2x a day and always provide fresh food. I just am worried it will spread through these birds, on to other brooders I have, and into new birds I hatch.
Tom

#87935 - 04/04/05 12:18 PM Re: Blood Red Vent
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
Sometimes baby animals (I have had kittens, pups, chicks) have severe anal irritation due to poop getting stuck/not being able to clean themselves and more likely, having to eat and adapt to new foods and such. I would hope the redness would start to go away. If it looks really irritated maybe try desitin (diaper rash cream). I know other coop members use it on their hens vents when irritation occurs. You are right to be concerned if you have other chicks in brooders without these symptoms. I have seen a couple chicks with red vents that turned out okay. It may be worms too. Kittens and pups that have worms tend to get diarreha and that really irritates the anus and turns it nasty red and puffy. Good luck.

#87936 - 04/04/05 12:47 PM Re: Blood Red Vent
Anonymous
Unregistered

To clear things up...
I find the dead birds with the red vents; the other birds don't even have any symptoms. None of the other chicks that are alive have any irritation, pasting ect...
Tom

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2