Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87940 - 07/22/09 07:30 AM Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
Hey there--

I have a Maran hen that has a very bad eye situation. I found her about 2 weeks ago and her eye was swollen and seeping with pus. It had no smell and after cleaning it all out of her eye, I could see that her eyeball was still there and looking pretty good. I immediately put her on opthomological ointment and saw some improvement, but after 2 weeks, the eye is still seeping and gunky. It looks like there is a glob on top of her eye--a gelatinous goo that never seems to go away. I will see if I can post pictures, but am not very good technically!

I took her in to the vet who put her on drops since the ointment was not working well, but I am at a loss. This chicken has been in my living room for over 2 weeks now, and no improvement really. I don't know what to do!

#87941 - 07/23/09 01:53 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Does anyone know how to post a photo?

#87942 - 07/23/09 05:34 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Instructions for posting photos are outlined in the following thread.

Posting Photos

Your photos have to be uploaded from your computer to an online photo album, such as PhotoBucket. Once you have created an online photo album, select the size of your photos before uploading them. I recommend "medium." Really large photos will be changed from images to links.

I hope this helps.

#87943 - 08/03/09 06:30 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Graves Mill Farm Offline
New Egg

Loc: Virginia
I think my rooster has this exact thing. I'm going to separate him and give him antibiotics in his water. I also going to treat it topically. Hopefully it won't go on long. I'll try to post a photo so we can compare eyes!!!

#87944 - 08/03/09 07:17 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Hey! I am sorry to hear your rooster has a similar problem. My situation did not end happily, but I guess it could have been worse.

Her eye just would not get better no matter how many times a day I administered the drops. Poor thing. Finally, I took her back to the vet and he cleaned out an incredible amount of "goo" and sent off some swabs to find out what kind of bacteria we were dealing with. After cleaning her out, we were able to see that her eye had actually ruptured which the vet told me might be a good thing, since now the infection had worked its way "out". Very sad though, but she is still alive!
So, her eye over the past week has gotten much much better, and she laid an egg yesterday, so I am hoping she is on the mend. Still, there is stuff in her eye, and I don't know what will happen when we are through with the antibiotics. I hope you don't have the same issue that I do! Its very hard to medicate her, and she has been living on my dining room table for almost a month now!! Ack!!

Anyway, keep me posted or email me directly....I can send pics if you want that way. I will post the results of the swabs they took of the infection. I should find out in the next day or two.....

Good luck!

#87945 - 08/04/09 05:34 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Graves Mill Farm Offline
New Egg

I'll let you know how it goes. I totally expect him to loose this grody eyeball. I just want him to not be miserable! It's too dark to get good pics. I'll take some tomorrow.

#87946 - 08/04/09 05:44 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Got the culture results today--she has a highly resistant strain of bacteria in her eye which is why we had such a hard time with the antibiotics not working....Poor thing. I really don't know what the end result will be for her--but 250 bucks in, I am NOT putting this bird to sleep!!! Ha! Anyway, I have another vet appointment on Friday and he is going to take a look. We will see....It definitely helped getting the culture back so we know now what we are dealing with.

Hopefully, your story will be much better!! If it helps any, they told me that I could administer the eye drops as many times a day as I saw fit--I am up to about 5 times a day, and i really think it has helped get the infection under control.

Send pics tomorrow...You have my e-mail address, yes?

#87947 - 08/05/09 02:10 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
You say it's a highly resistant strain of bacteria, did your vet tell you which type?

#87948 - 08/05/09 02:12 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

I am seeing him on Friday and I will let you know!

#87949 - 08/05/09 06:53 PM Re: Abscessed/Infected Eyeball
Graves Mill Farm Offline
New Egg

No pics yet. How do I get your email address. I don't know how these forms work!! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to hear what the vet says.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2