Topic Options
#87983 - 06/20/07 10:27 PM Drunk/Sick Goslings
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
When I left home at 6 a.m., one gosling, Nelson, was acting a little odd and wouldn't leave the pen with the others. Other than that, nothing noteworthy. I arrived home from town at 8 p.m. to find Nelson and one other gosling, both 4 months old, barely able to walk, lurching along.

Yesterday I fed them soaked scratch--milo/cracked corn--that I had started soaking the day before and fed it again this morning. Neither day was particularly warm, but the mixture might have fermented. Other than that, I can't think of another explanation. The others--13 of them--seem fine, as raukous as ever.

If they're not drunk, what might account for this sort of behavior? And drunk or not, what should I do to help them? For now they're in with the others. I don't have a good way of separating them.

Please help. I'll be very grateful. Thanks.

#87984 - 06/22/07 02:32 PM Re: Drunk/Sick Goslings
Mary W. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maine
Why do you soak their feed? Try giving them dry with a nice deep dish of fresh water. Something in the soaked feed could be doing it. Are they outside? Could they have gotten into something in the yard? I have never had this problem before and I wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck.

#87985 - 06/22/07 06:44 PM Re: Drunk/Sick Goslings
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Thanks, Mary. I soak the feed because they're young, and I'm not sure they can digest the dry. But I think you're right, and I won't continue soaking it. I haven't done it for long and have never had a problem with the dry. I'm being too clever for my own (or their own) good. Anyway, in the morning the sick ones were fine. I was just panicked when they were lurching around. Perhaps they were also exhausted from our long day in town. Anyway, thanks for your response.

#87986 - 06/22/07 09:13 PM Re: Drunk/Sick Goslings
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I once had a rooster that cleaned up the spilled oats from feeding my horse. Unfortunately, I had also added Negavon (Horse bot wormer) to the feed. The rooster was high as a kite on the negavon. Eyes alternately dilating and contracting, could only walk if he used his beak as a third leg! I put him in a box by the old woodrange and kept him quiet and warm. He recovered in 12 hours or so and went on to live a long normal life. (likely with no worms!!! :rolleyes: )
Fermenting foods, if my biology days is correctly remembered, can develop mycotoxins, which is an organism of the fungus family, and they can be fatal to humans and livestock alike (If consumed in the right amounts.) I think that is why if you sprout your own beansprouts, seeds etc for salads you are supposed to rinse them each day to prevent any possible build up of moulds and fungus. I dare say some of those could use the sugar in cracked corn to good effect and give off yeasts that may make a bird appear to be drunk. I often sprout wheat, especially in the winter as a green feed for my hens, but I always rinse it each day and have never had a problem. I feed it when the sprouts are about 1 inches long and have turned green. Chooks love it.
Your birds should be able to deal with cracked corn through normal digestion especially since they are 4 months old.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2