Topic Options
#88021 - 04/20/09 05:11 PM Stubs
Jon B. Offline
New Egg

Loc: Missouri
I was at a show this past weekend and one of my hens had a comment on her card that said "stubs". I'm assuming that it was refering to spots on the shanks that look like little spurs starting. Is there a way to prevent or remove these stubs for a show?

#88022 - 04/21/09 04:30 AM Re: Stubs
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Stubs has reference to feathers growing on her legs. Check her legs and see if you see small stubs. If so, you'll need to pull these before showing her again.

#88023 - 04/21/09 07:11 AM Re: Stubs
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Rhea Dean's got it. I'm just going to add that the judge should have only written "stubs" if there were feather tufts on the leg of a clean-legged bird. Birds with feather legs, well, should have feathers! LOL

#88024 - 04/21/09 08:50 AM Re: Stubs
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
If it was a clean legged bird it should have been disqualified. Stubbs are usually small pin feathers between the toes on anything but a feather legged breed. If it was not Disqualified then he was just being nice.

As far as a hen having spur buttons that is OK. Hens with outright spurs can be OK depends on the judge and if she uses them on him.

Bob

#88025 - 04/21/09 09:50 AM Re: Stubs
Jon B. Offline
New Egg

Loc: Missouri
Thanks for the helpful replies. I was told by someone else it was the little spur spots. I will have too look the hens over better next time to make sure my clean legged hens are clean legged. And the judge done righ and disquilified her. Funny thing is it was a double show, the first show judge caught it and the secound one didn't. Thanks for your help everyone.

#88026 - 04/21/09 01:19 PM Re: Stubs
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
It's difficult to know the history behind the genetic makeup of a chicken. It could be that a feather legged variety was used somewhere years ago for one reason or another (perhaps to create a new color), and those traits pop up from time to time.

#88027 - 04/27/09 02:01 PM Re: Stubs
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon B:
. Funny thing is it was a double show, the first show judge caught it and the secound one didn't. Thanks for your help everyone.
I was clerking at a double show once and the same thing happened. The judge I was clerking for found a stub and showed it to me. He then disqualified the bird.
I was curious and turned the other judges card over and the same bird was class champion in the other show.
The good thing was the same exhibitor had class champion in both shows on different birds. So he didn't squeal.
Bob

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2