Topic Options
#88029 - 04/29/09 04:55 AM Good show breed?
M. Hoffman Offline
New Egg

Loc: Connecticut
Hello. I'd like to get into showing my chickens (nothing big, just the local fairs). What are some good breeds for exhibition? And what should I keep in mind when choosing which chicken to bring? What is it the judges are looking for? I'm still pretty new to chickens, so anything you can tell me would be great. Thanks so much! smile

#88030 - 04/29/09 11:10 AM Re: Good show breed?
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
What type of chicken do you like ? Clean legged , feather legged , top notches , beards ? Color ? Go to a couple poultry shows and look at all you can. If you see a breed that just trips your trigger try them. Find a reputable breeder and buy some. An old horse trader told one time , no matter what you are buying , go look at it. Then go do something else for awhile and go back and look again. If you see something you don`t like that you missed the first time don`t buy it. If you like it better the second look , buy it. Works for me. Rog

#88031 - 04/29/09 04:20 PM Re: Good show breed?
M. Hoffman Offline
New Egg

Loc: Connecticut
I think my favorite breed to look at is the Silver Spangled Hamburg. I also love the Polish birds.

#88032 - 04/30/09 07:13 AM Re: Good show breed?
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Is your primary ambition to just show, learn, and have fun? Or to WIN? If the latter you will want to start with solid white or black birds. Beyond that, it's mainly just a matter of preference.
1st John 5:11-12

#88033 - 04/30/09 06:18 PM Re: Good show breed?
Sdearmo Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
My daughter shows in 4-H county fairs and that is my only experience with showing chickens. That being said, she's done great with her araucana's. They are a difficult breed to raise very many quality show birds; however, due to their unique genes. So that's not an easy road, but one that has worked for us & has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience! After several years of raising chickens, this is still our favorite breed and an uncommon one.

Suzi
www.lifeonanacreage.com

#88034 - 06/03/09 12:09 PM Re: Good show breed?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
sdearmo, I was trying to find photos of your birds on your site, but couldn't find them anywhere?

Honestly, it depends on what you like. Several people go for breeds that are readily available to their area. It took me several tries but I finally found the breed that I REALLY wanted to show and do well in. The Langshan... laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2