Topic Options
#88038 - 05/07/08 07:41 PM show preparation
Goat Man Offline
Feather

Loc: Pennsylvania
what does anyone use to clean up combs, faces and legs on show day. also what is a good product to put a good shine on feathers?

#88039 - 05/07/08 09:12 PM Re: show preparation
Cool2Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
I use VetRx on the Comb and Face, and Vaseline on the legs, use both sparingly and wipe of any excess.

As for putting shine on the feathers, you could use a hair spray called Pink Spray sparingly on the birds. I use a clean silk cloth and just rub then gently with it and it works really well, esp on dark colored birds. If you wash your birds a week before the show, then they should have a nice natural shine by the time the show comes. Experiment on some birds not going to the show to see what works best for that breed and color.

Good Luck,
Cool2Chickens
http://bluerunbantams.webs.com/

#88040 - 05/08/08 12:19 PM Re: show preparation
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
I would agree with useing the Pink Spray sparingly. There are some judges that will cut points for too much. It is actually a cattle grooming spray.
Some people use WD 40 on the legs, it cleans them and gives it a flat shine instead of an oily one.
I had my sister make me Chicken Mitts, a glove out of silk. I start to use it when I first put them up to train and condition. Keep in mind it works best on hard feather breeds. I have Modern Game bantams.

Bob

#88041 - 05/08/08 01:16 PM Re: show preparation
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
You can always smell a bird that has VetRx applied. Since it is used primarily for respiratory ailments, it always makes me wonder if it is being used for show, or if the main purpose is to keep the bird from exhibiting respiratory symptoms. I much prefer a mixture of olive oil and denatured alcohol, mixed well, applied with a soft toothbrush. The oil makes the comb and legs soft and shiny, and the alcohol dries it out so it doesn't leave a sticky mess.
I tried the VetRx and don't care for it. I received my A.P.A. Master Exhibitor certification about 10 years ago.
1st John 5:11-12

#88042 - 05/09/08 08:59 AM Re: show preparation
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Quote:
You can always smell a bird that has VetRx applied. Since it is used primarily for respiratory ailments, it always makes me wonder if it is being used for show, or if the main purpose is to keep the bird from exhibiting respiratory symptoms.
I was born without a sense of smell. I tried VetRx once years ago myself. My wife made the same comment as yours. I haven't used it since.

#88043 - 06/08/08 06:34 PM Re: show preparation
Bad Seed Girl Offline
Feather

Loc: Tennessee
My nephew is going to show his Black Star chickens (hens) in his local county fair for 4-H this August. How should he prepare his chickens? I've seen a lot of posts about washing the chickens before the show. How do you wash your chickens?

As you can see, we are dealing with rank amateurs in the chicken game here. I don't know about all 4-H programs, but we were not given enough information about how to raise these chickens in our local program. I am very grateful for the help I am finding here on this site. My nephew thinks I am some kind of chicken wiz, but I have given you all the credit!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2