Topic Options
#88045 - 03/13/08 05:29 AM Tips Needed for First Time Showing
Paint Filly Offline
Feather

Loc: Maryland
This is my first time showing chickens in 4-H. I would like to show Cochin bantams. I already have a black and a buff. I am planning on getting some more from McMurry Hatchery very soon. The only problam is that I have to order at least 25. I am planning on getting the 25, picking out the best ones, and selling the rest. What should I look for, how much should I sell them for, and most importantly, can any one give me some tips of showing (i.e getting ready, the day of the show, exc.)?

#88046 - 04/01/08 05:22 AM Re: Tips Needed for First Time Showing
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
There is a DVD Titled The Beginners Guide to Raising and Showing poultry....

It has a very long.... looooong, segment on showing birds, specifially in 4-H

You might want to get a copy of that. Do you not have a poultry 4-H leader to help you?

One other method of getting your chicks, is to get chicken friends together and combine your order through McMurray. This way, no one ends up with too many birds. You won't really get much for the birds you decide so sell, unless you raise them until around 6 months and sell as point of lay hens and the others show their adult feathering for proper examination.

By then, you've spent lost of $$ on food and care, so there isn't really a gain to be had.

Best of luck to you, with all your Cochins!

#88047 - 04/05/08 06:29 PM Re: Tips Needed for First Time Showing
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
I was a 4-H leader for around 20 years. I have 4 children who all graduated from 4-H, and did very well showing their birds. One son had grand champion poultry at our local show 7 years in a row.

One thing that I would suggest is that you subscribe to the Poultry Press. It is a tremendous aid to people who are serious about showing poultry. Also, purchase a Standard of Perfection. This is a book that describes in detail nearly every breed of poultry. It also has excellent pictures of birds of all breeds. And---you might go the Cochin International Club's website. I think you would enjoy that.

One thing---I would also suggest that you try to find some Cochin eggs or birds from a breeder who shows extensively. McMurray has decent stock, but it is geared more to production than the elite show type. In our state fair, you can always tell the birds that came from McMurray. They are OK, but the really serious breeders birds are always a LOT better.

Best wishes in showing your birds.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2