Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88059 - 06/09/09 09:14 AM Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I was wondering if anyone was going to the Ohio Nationals this year in November? I am going to be going--mainly to look but to compete as well. I just want to "try" I suppose, and it will be an honor to see so many other breeders doing what they love.

I would like to meet some people *if* they were already going to go, but if nobody wants to meet up, it's okay! I'll be the crazy lady hovering next to the Langshans!

#88060 - 06/12/09 09:25 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Langshan Girl Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi jrsygntbrdr,

You sound like me! I am the same person you were speaking to in the langshan group. I still haven't made up my mind if I am going. I have wanted to go to the Ohio national for 12 years now! I really want to go, but I am hurting a bit for cash lol. I'll let you know if I think I can make it! I should have several langshan cockerels and pullets ready by that time smile

Take Care,

Langshangirl (Cindy)

#88061 - 06/15/09 07:06 AM Re: Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I understand the hurting for cash...the same applies to me, but I figure this might be one of the last (and first) times I get to go!

I don't know how bad my financial situation will be then...but darnit. It's an experience I want to do and better yet...my boyfriend will be driving the 11 hours in the car with the birds with me!! laugh

I've got some awesome blue chicks that just hatched out. 1 cockerel and 1 pullet...so they won't be ready until next year. My Langshan cock...I'm debating pulling his tail but my luck that would ruin him completely.

You REALLY should come! laugh

#88062 - 07/06/09 07:56 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Cleelum Chick Offline
Chick

Loc: Washington
I will be there they are haveing the 2009 Orpington national there. Should be a lot of fun.

#88063 - 10/08/09 10:18 AM Re: Ohio Nationals
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Hey Mikaela: as you already know, I'm gonna be there & hope to meet up with you.

The cockerels I am taking are going to be 7 months old, and I am wishing I had hatched them out about a month earlier (March instead of April-- got rid of all the March birds)-- still waiting on one to get his tail grown some! I know you have shown them as young as 6 months-- the BR male you had. Is he going?

Chris

#88064 - 10/13/09 03:21 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I'm "hoping" to make it to the nationals this year. I'm afraid I may not be able to make it thanks to money issues.

I still have the Barred Rock male, hopefully he'll still be there then! laugh But, yes, I'm hoping to take him but I'm doubting he will place at all.

I'm more optimistic about the Langshans than any of the other birds.

#88065 - 10/23/09 11:24 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I never look at this section...don't show poultry. But for some reason, today I did and have silly question. Why would you 'pull' a roosters tail? Does this mean the same as pulling a horse's mane, to thin it out so it isn't so bulky or to take out some length? Is this an acceptable thing to do, a regular poultry practice? I've never heard of such a thing. Why is it done?

#88066 - 10/24/09 09:16 AM Re: Ohio Nationals
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
For Show, to be competitive, a bird must be in full mature plumage--NO feathers missing, and choosing birds to enter can be a guess--for best condition. Note this was posted in JUNE for a November Show.....

If a cockerel or cock has a broken tail feather, a new full feather will not grow in until natural molt drops it. However, if 3 to 4 months ahead of the show,you pull out the broken feather, the new one can be grown in, in time for the Show. This is only for those who WANT to enter their very good type bird and hope to win~! Takes timing and luck!

I don't show competitively, but I breed "SHow birds" for others to breed and show--but at Show time,it is then someone else's problem to have them in "Show condition" CJR

And yes any other change, is deceptive and can lead to Disqualification.

#88067 - 10/25/09 01:32 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

CJR explained it perfectly. I'm always apprehensive of pulling a tail. If you pull too early, you could damage the feather follicle and cause ingrown feathers or actually injure the bird if you do it incorrectly.

I wound up pulling him earlier this year. Feathers are coming in beautifully. Slower than I'd like, but if you rush it...

#88068 - 10/26/09 06:53 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Ah...sort of like me, yanking out that crazy, kinky gray hair only to have it replace itself several months later with more crazy, kinky gray hair!

I would have to think yanking out a tail feather would leave a hole big enough to plant a tree in! Is there a 'method'? Do you wrap his butt in a warm, moist towel, like they used to do in the old days before a shave? OR do you just grab and yank and hope he forgives you? Ouch! Thanks for the explanation, learned something new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2