Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88069 - 10/26/09 09:38 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I know that some showers will take a pair of needlenose pliers to a stubborn wing feather that's been torn up. I did that ONE time. The feather did not grow back, so I never did it again. Now, I wait for the feathers to tell me when they are ready to go.

One person swore up and down that "pinching" the follicle helped loosen it. I watched him pinch and it bled awfully. I thought he had damaged it so that only ingrown feathers would result, but the bird was there the next year, all feathers in tow!

#88070 - 10/27/09 10:43 AM Re: Ohio Nationals
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Here is the way to do it. Cut off the damaged feather with a scissors a week or two before pulling it. Leave just enough to grab onto with the pliers. That way the feather dies and is much easier to pull - and less painful for the chicken.
1st John 5:11-12

#88071 - 10/27/09 11:22 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

With my luck, I'd forget about which feather it was. That's an excellent idea Bushman! Much better than simply pull-and-tug!

#88072 - 12/20/09 12:19 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Hello everyone. I went to Ohio Nationals last month. I entered 3 Buckeye cockerels and really I did not know what to expect since it was my first show. The three placed #1,#2 & #3 cockerels with my #1 bird taking Best of Breed (BB). Laura Haggarty's Buckeye pullet that was Reserve American Champion at the Lucasville show took Reserve Best of Breed (RB). I took a picture of my cockerel, which was hard because he wouldn't sit still. The flash makes him look lighter than he appears in person but you can see his body type was pretty good. He weighed about 7 lbs 14 oz just before I took him to the show and was 7 months old.

My BB Buckeye cockerel:

Sorry I missed seeing you CJR. I heard you were there Sunday morning but you had already departed-- would loved to have met you. I took a few other pictures of birds I thought superb, including a very show-off turkey that went on to win it all:

#88073 - 12/20/09 01:35 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Chris, Well done!
Visited with a lot of old(and I mean OLD) friends and met lots of new ones--YOUNG ONES ! That is really a pleasure, but viewed few birds besides the Dutch Bantams. LONG trip for a short visit, but worth it all!
CJR

#88074 - 12/22/09 01:43 PM Re: Ohio Nationals
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
CJR: so very sorry I missed you. Laura H. went looking for you for me . . . I was pretty excited about meeting you. Then she came back & told me you had flown out. I asked, "Does she really exist or is CJR a 'ghost,' a figment of the Coop?" LOL!

The knid folks at Poultry Press just sent me a picture of my BB Cockerel:

#88075 - 01/07/10 11:53 AM Re: Ohio Nationals
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

So sorry I didn't get to meet with you. frown I had so hoped to! Money just didn't come together this year. Hopefully things will calm down a bit more this year so I can enjoy the show routine again!

Congrats on your Buckeye!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2