Topic Options
#88076 - 07/25/04 07:21 PM 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Heritage Acres Offline
Feather

Loc: Wisconsin
I am curious as to what kinds of questions the judges at fairs across the US ask of our 4-H and FFA youth in the Poultry Showmanship Contests.

#88077 - 07/26/04 04:56 AM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
one year the judge asked every kid what the feather was called, that was between the primary and secondary wing feathers (axial). One kid knew and that was the winner. But mostly its general question's. Like what type of comb your breed has, colors they come in.

#88078 - 07/26/04 06:03 AM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
A friend, who mostly judges fairs now, told me that the questions kind of depend on locality. Some fairs (4H), are in areas where poultry is more to the forefront, high quality birds are owned and managed by kids, other areas there doesn,t seem to be the same catagory of interest. Some areas there is very little knowledge at all.A more advanced area can withstand some pretty tough judging he said, where the 4H kids are more knowledgable than the adults.

#88079 - 07/26/04 08:29 AM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Deb AZ Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
For some judges anything and everythig taken directly from the standard. Some 4-h programs will throughout the year prep the 4-h kids with local county pre shows and clinics to further help educate. but your best bet is to learn the standard especially taking notice of your glossary of technical terms. It is always better to be prepared, comfortable with and in the knoweldge you have concerning poultry, and most of all to be able to express that knowledge when called upon with confidence. A good showman is not only knowledgeable concerning many aspects of poulty, but can present themsleves and their fowl in a manner that displays confidence. Since showmanship is broken down into age groups a certain amount of knowledge is expected. For seniors a judge may not only feel you should be knowlegeable concerning the breed you are presenting but various other breeds as well this might also incompass the disqualifictaitons for other breeds. All showman regardless of age should know the anatomy of fowl, be able to describe all the differences in plumage, all defects and disqulaificatins of their chosen breed, and all varieties pertaining to their breed. From there it could be asked of one to name all the parts of the wing, how many parts are there to a wing or name at least 5 dual purpose breeds?

Deb

#88080 - 07/26/04 06:36 PM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Heritage Acres Offline
Feather

Loc: Wisconsin
At most of the 4-H and FFA Poultry Showmanship contests I have witnessed, the animal's breed is not dealt with. Most judges focus on anatomy and some general terms and definitions.

#88081 - 08/03/04 08:33 AM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally, a question I can answer. We just finished the county fair where both my girls do chickens. My youngest came away with fourth in showmanship. It was a new judge. Last year we came away with a first and a second in showmanship. I guess here it is taken pretty seriously. The questions were really hard. "name all the chikens that have a "V" comb." Showmanship depends a lot on the judge. The basics are the childs ability to handle their bird. "Name 6 different parts of your chicken." The judge is not looking for silly answers like the tail, foot ,head, beak and wing..but harder answers like hock, shank, spur, toe, toenail, web, pad. Make sure your child points to the part the judge askes about. Show the top and bottom of the part the judge asks about. This shows the judge it is actually their bird and not their parents. NEVER point your chickens butt at the judge. It will ALWAY go off like a loaded gun. This year the judge wanted to test their knowledge of all poultry. Not just their bird. Their were questions about ducks and turkeys. Along with questions about other birds. In showmanship in our fair you can bring any bird that you are showing. A lot of the kids only show broilers and they do not do well in showmanship. Broilers are not very bright and hard to hold. My daughter has small hands so she showed a cute little black cochin bantam. To me showmanship gives all the kids an equal chance to win. It is based on their knowledge and skill with their animals. Not how much money their parents have to buy them the nicest pen of birds. Hope this helps a bit. Beth

#88082 - 08/08/04 02:33 PM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Cool2Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
Our fair is really just a few local farmers so there is really no competition in there. I am going to do 4-H showmanship junior this week and can't wait until its over. I know that in showmanship its not only knowledge but how you handle the bird and your apperence at judging time. I have always tried my best to stay calm and not rush the questions. Never say huu when the judge asks a question they hate that. If you didn't here them ask the "could you repet the question". Look derectly at the judge as much as possible. Keap the bird in front of you and when you display anything make shure you point to the corect spot and make it visable to the judge. If he asks you a question and you don't know it right of hand don't sit there all day and say humm humm. Tel him directly you don't know but if you think of it later tell him then. Iv learned this through bitter experience. I hope it helps.

Cool2Chickens
http://bluerunbantams.webs.com/

#88083 - 08/18/04 07:48 AM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The APA puts out a helpful little booklet called 'Poultry Showmanship, A manual for the Organizer and judge'
It is a helpful guide for the exhibitor, as it covers types of questions and activities that are appropriate for each age group of children, and also has pictures of appropriate ways to handle your bird. I recommend picking up a copy-
Susie

#88084 - 08/18/04 04:24 PM Re: 4-H & FFA Poultry Showmanship Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

During my showmanship class at the county fair it seems that the judge appreciated it when people elaborated on body parts during the inspection, such as why they look at this area and what it may mean. The judge also liked people to explain traits about the bird's breed that makes it special compared to other breed(like 5 toes for silkies and dorkings compared to 4 for most breed) Maybe it is just judges in my area but they seem to like when people take the initiative to explain more than just naming body parts during the inspection.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2