Topic Options
#88089 - 02/03/10 10:31 PM Limp Neck
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Pinkmumma posted this to me last night, so I have entered it here so that all may help.

Quote:
I have a silky that has a limp neck. Its not broken. I have to put her head in the water to get her to drink, she wont eat. I'm so lost. All the other chickens and geese are fine. If you can, please help me I don;t know what to do.
Thank you
Nicky

My reply was as follows.

Quote:
Go to the search button and put in limberneck (don't put a space in the word) It is also known as botulism
There is a lot of reading on the subject which might help you decide if this is what your hen has

I sincerely hope your silkie does not have this. If it does you have to act fast. Here's a link to one of the threads.
Limberneck

Hope this will help you
Foehn

Edited by Foehn (02/04/10 12:53 AM)

#88128 - 02/06/10 02:06 PM Re: Limp Neck [Re: Foehn]
Roova Offline
New Egg

Loc: Australia
Does the Silkie's head sway from front to back? This can be a sign of dehydration, which is often caused by their crests being so large the chicken can't see where its water is. They would have the same problem with food I'm sure.

Has your friend checked to see if her Silkie can see? She may need to cut a significant portion of the crest away at the front, being, of course, extremely careful of the eye area and not to get too close to the skin. She might find a significant improvement (hopefully). It heartwarming to see how much enjoyment Silkies get from having their eye sight improved! It musn't be much fun having a tiny amount of vision.

I hope it's nothing more serious than this and her Silkie improves.

Thanks, Roova

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2