Topic Options
#27484 - 11/28/09 05:39 PM Mille Fleur Japs
Oz Boots2 Offline
Chick

Loc: Australia
Does anyone know what colour base mille fleur Japs are made on? Is it wheaten or/and eb, or would mottled be an option?

Would the theory be the same as breeding mille fleur into other breeds such as Pekins? I know they are in Europe and the UK, but I haven't heard of them in Australia.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

#27485 - 11/29/09 03:34 AM Re: Mille Fleur Japs
KazJaps Offline
Lord of the Fowl

They are called "Tri Coloured" in the Australian and British Jap Standards. The colour/pattern is described as the following:

Quote:
The colours white, black and brown or dark ochre should be as equally divided as possible on each feather.
Yet in the book 'Understanding Japanese Bantams" (John J. Palin, 1980), Plate 3 has a colour painting of a pair, and they have the same colour/pattern as Belgian Bearded Bantam Millefleurs (ie, not 'equally divided' between the colours), except the Japs have more white in the wing primaries/secondaries.

I don't think it matters much as to E locus for the Millefleurs, as there are some well patterned eWh based Belgian Millefleurs in Australia, and eWh based Belgian Millefleurs occur in the USA, and good Millefleurs occur in OEGB in the USA - some appear to be e+ based (not a surprise, considering Spangled OEGB are e+/e+ mo/mo based), eb in other breeds/countries. The Aust. Belgian Standard doesn't exactly refer to feather undercolour, except the description of the Mille male neck feathers suggests a dark undercolour. The Jap Standard doesn't mention undercolour, so it wouldn't matter what E locus allele there.

The Aust. Belgian Millefleurs have at least eWh and e+ based Millefleurs. I know Gerry Coady when redeveloping Belgian varieties, crossed Millefleur Belgian with Black-tailed Buff Jap. The B.T.Buff would have been eWh/eWh based. If I was developing Millefleur Japs myself, I would use the best Millefleur colour/pattern Belgian I could get hold of (ie no excess white, good mottling, etc, but dark ground colour - ie stock with red enhancing mutation) and cross to B.T.Buff Japs. Make sure the Japs have no white at base of tail, in wing flights, etc. I wouldn't use Aust. Black Mottled Japs, unless they were very good mottled birds - the quality of excellent Belgians, Anconas or Spangled OEGB.

#27486 - 11/29/09 07:01 PM Re: Mille Fleur Japs
Oz Boots2 Offline
Chick

Hi KazJaps. Thanks for your input. I thought black tailed buff may have been a better option after going through the chicken genetics book. I have some well-marked, very dark rich red mille fleur Belgian that would be ideal. Some are even light in foot feathering so that's a plus.

Now the hunt begins to find BT buff Japs!
Thanks again.

#88122 - 02/06/10 05:55 AM Re: Mille Fleur Japs [Re: Oz Boots2]
Becky Offline
Chick

Loc: Georgia
I know I am a couple months late on this post but here are my F2s Please excuse their poses, they were quite terrified of the camera.This is mille fleur d'uccle over BTB Japanese.

#88133 - 02/07/10 02:21 AM Re: Mille Fleur Japs [Re: Becky]
Oz Boots2 Offline
Chick

Hi Becky. Thank you for adding the pics. It would be good to see them in a more relaxed and natural "pose." Do they (the roosters) have any breast mottling? Looks like they will struggle to pick that up.

I have not had much luck finding any good Japs or Japs of the right colour to start with. However, I did start with a columbian hen and a recessive white hen. Chicks are gold (maybe citroen) and silver at this stage.

#88149 - 02/09/10 02:47 PM Re: Mille Fleur Japs [Re: Oz Boots2]
Becky Offline
Chick

Yes, I hope to get some more natural pictures once I have them out of the brooder cage and into their own cage (I'll be working on two small pens this week-one for these and one for my bantam barred EE's.)

#88151 - 02/09/10 07:26 PM Re: Mille Fleur Japs [Re: Becky]
Rusty Hart Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
I have a colored pen and ink drawing of a pair of mille fleur Japanese bantams. I would show it here if I knew how. If anyone would like to see them, you can E-mail me and I'll send it to you. I'm still very much interested in this variety of Japanese bantams. I have been raising mille fleur Pyncheons for quite a few years and other mille fleur varieties for 31 years. You have a nice start. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Rusty
RustyHart45@aol.com

#88203 - 02/12/10 07:28 PM Re: Mille Fleur Japs [Re: Rusty Hart]
Becky Offline
Chick

Thank you. I have some mille fleur Pyncheons myself. Unfortunately, the ones I hatched need a lot of work. Here are some newer pictures I took of my F2 mille fleur Japs.

#89250 - 05/09/10 04:55 PM Re: Mille Fleur Japs [Re: Becky]
Oz Boots Offline
Bantam

I thought I would give an update on this topic.

I still haven't been able to get hold of any black tailed buff Japs, so I used a quality short legged columbian hen, and I have since added a quality white hen. Below is what I got out of the cross. There was also a lemon columbian cockerel and some pure whites.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69