Topic Options
#88264 - 02/18/10 08:54 AM Old Polish Crested Fowl
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Quote:
KasJaps-The following link at Feathersite - Old Polish Crested fowl:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/OldPol/BRKOldPol.html
-interesting, with crested single-comb & rosecomb examples.

Having an abundance of genetic material ranging about our farm, I’d be interest in knowing the possibilities of creating such fine looking birds. Can I assume, in using my modern Polish, that it would be a "retro" adventure whilst using out crossings to-–what?

Thanks in advance- dpollock

#88270 - 02/18/10 05:49 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: D. Pollock]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Germany
You can mix all crested breeds like Altsteirer (Styrian), Sulmtalers, Sombor Chicken, and Polands, of course.
They are all closely related to the Polish Dworska. In German they were called Polnische Prachthühner in ancient times; and when they were kept and shipped via Hamburg to Great Britain (because Poland belonged a long time to the German kingdom), they were called Hamburger Prachthühner. This fact has led to misunderstandings about the origin of the crestless and "real" Hamburgs with some artists/authors (like Albin, Buffon, Moubray, and others) until the middle of the 19th century. They thought that the ancestors of the Hamburgs had been crested birds.

Today, it is known that the ancestors of this better known Hamburgs, which were called every day layer in earlier times, were actually derived from the Dutch breed Assendelfters.

If you prefer rose combs, take Wyandottes, Dominiques, or Redcaps.

Picture from Woliera.com

#88276 - 02/19/10 06:51 AM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: Redcap]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Redcap, I do appreciate your response! With some cursory readings about the Alsteirer/Styrian, Sulmtalers, and the Sombor chickens (really enjoy the historical aspects), my best genetic infusions appear to be with my Polish stock (x) Wyandottes and Dominiques. I do have Houdans, but I don’t know the genetics behind breeding out the 5th toe gene but would like to learn how this would be accomplished.

Thank you, dpollock

#88279 - 02/19/10 01:52 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: D. Pollock]
Rusty Hart Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
I raise Pyncheons, an Old American breed with a tassel/crest and single comb. They have always been my favorite breed. I find the Old Polish Crested to be very interesting. Are there any of these in the U.S.? Regards, Rusty

#88280 - 02/19/10 02:09 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: Rusty Hart]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

No way. Honestly it is a recreated breed, and there are many "mutt" versions in Poland; the breed was only recently approved for the Polish Standard. Therefore, this breed isn't kept abroad so far.

#88281 - 02/19/10 02:43 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: Redcap]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

'Redcap'- "muff" as in (bearded)? How would one find (in English) the recently approved standard for the 'Old Polish Crested'? Also, do you know if they lay a tinted egg?

Thanks again, dpollock

#88282 - 02/19/10 02:56 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: D. Pollock]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

#88283 - 02/19/10 03:12 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: Redcap]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Redcap, your ability to deliver the "goods" is really quite impressive! Thanks for providing the needed motivation for a possible breeding project.

dpollock

#88284 - 02/19/10 03:36 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: D. Pollock]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

I've investigated about this breed since last year, because I was searching for round combed breeds for this breeding project. But by this way I fell in love to the rosecombed Dworska.

The editor of woliera, Stanislaw Roszkowski, was so kind to post me the above mentioned site in the woliera-forum last week. So it was just a happy coincidence for you that I could forward this information.

#88286 - 02/19/10 04:51 PM Re: Old Polish Crested Fowl [Re: Redcap]
Blackdotte2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
Polydactyly is an autosomal incomplete dominant, shouldn't be hard to get rid of.
See the Avicultura Europe article http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/10E01A10.pdf
David

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69