Topic Options
#88434 - 03/03/10 04:12 AM 10-Day-Old Chick Can't Walk
J. S. Wilson Offline
Bantam

Loc: Indiana
In a hatch of 13 chicks, all were fine until day 10 (yesterday) when one suddenly could not walk. It was moving around by pushing on its wings. I separated it in the brooder box, and it's eating and drinking (I have left food, but dip beak in for drinking and then take water away so it will not spill). It seems like the legs cannot support it. It is also lethargic, sleeping more. All were vaccinated for Marek's at one day.

I've known chicks to die suddenly at a few days old, but not 10 days. Any thoughts?

#88435 - 03/03/10 06:44 AM Re: 10-Day-Old Chick Can't Walk [Re: J. S. Wilson]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I suspect it is sick, but Mareck's seems a little unlikely. Does it smell bad? Is its belly larger than the rest? Did it eat well like the rest or get pushed out of the feed? Can you say more? Can it pass manure, or is it blocked up?

Jocelyn

#88436 - 03/03/10 07:03 AM Re: 10-Day-Old Chick Can't Walk [Re: Jocelyn]
J. S. Wilson Offline
Bantam

Loc: Indiana
I didn't notice any getting pushed out of feed. They all go at different times, were all moving around (rest still are), eating, drinking, sleeping.

I did have a bit of a rough hatch, operator stupidity, and had some short times with low temps that resulted in my having to put three down due to leg problems. But that was at the beginning. The rest have seemed vigorous and healthy up until yesterday.

I am not seeing any navel problems, pasty butt, etc. It doesn't feel excessively thin or bloated, just weak legs and this morning panting. It's difficult to separate and confine, as you want to make sure they are not overheating or too cold. But other chicks in same area are not panting and temps are at 88-90 (about where they should be in week two).

I've got some broad-spectrum antibiotic for water that I could try to see if there is an infection. Does this extra info help? Honestly it's very odd to me. Thanks!

#88477 - 03/05/10 11:48 PM Re: 10-Day-Old Chick Can't Walk [Re: J. S. Wilson]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I've had chicks fail due to unabsorbed yolk sac in their belly. But these chicks were "off" from day one, screamers, and seemed very sleepy. Often that sleeping look is a sign of pain. There is that gentle, slow, melting thing that chicks do when they are asleep. But a chick in pain, eyes closed, huddled, not part of the group, looks different than sleeping. And with unabsorbed yolk sac (Oomphalitis or yellow belly or yolk belly), they don't usually last 10 days. I do not know what it is, but it probably isn't yolk trouble.

It is possible this chick just got overheated and drooped with lethargy. Always make sure they can escape the heat. Cold chicks will screech and tell you they are cold, but hot chicks just plop.

Only other idea is to add some PoulVite to the water and hope a dose of vitamins and minerals fixes him up. Sorry I have no better answers.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2