Topic Options
#88507 - 03/08/10 10:36 AM Hatching Time Length
Kbaiko Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arizona
Does a hen's body temperature affect the length of time to hatch eggs? My primary hen always hatches her clutch of eggs on days 19 and 20. She has done this five times in the 2 1/2 years I have owned her. It has not mattered at what time of year she begins setting. I always date the eggs on the day I put them under her.

#88509 - 03/08/10 12:19 PM Re: Hatching Time Length [Re: Kbaiko]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Unless you take her temperature (Ha!), you can never know if it varies from the normal--104f. Interior of the hen is 107f, which is the temp of the egg when laid. (Janet Stromberg, A Guide to Better Hatching). So actually, a hen cools off just a little while setting--same as incubator temperatures, depending upon make--98f-101f. This is almost a hybernation, but not quite, as she does get off daily to eat and deficate--his allows her to stretch her legs, and the eggs to cool a bit, also, from her setting temperature--necessary!.

So we know that some folks find that their bantam eggs hatch at 19-20 days (mine rarely do--45+ years of bantam hen hatching--usually 21 days), but nothing is "by the books" for chickens, and "normal" is what is right for that individual chicken. If it works, it's okay! You know what to expect from that hen, and so will always be ready for those babies' arrival!

Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn