Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88835 - 04/04/10 12:39 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Kareema, there are a few other things that might make hens do something like you describe. If the food she is eating is dry, like dry mash or wheat, some hens will greedily scoff and then get a temporary blockage halfway down their oesophagus. In this case, they will stretch their neck, emit a sound half way between a sneeze and a cough, and give their head a little shake. If they can't dislodge, they will often drink water to wash the food down.

The other occasion may be soundless, although it can have a strangled sounding cry but is a hen actually "crowing." Some get quite good at it and do sound a bit rooster like; others are mute. This is often triggered by changing hormones, such as when beginning to moult, beginning to lay again, going off lay, or going or coming from a clucky spell.

Welcome back. Did you post under the same name?

#88838 - 04/04/10 03:25 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Kareema113, do you mean gape like "yawn"? Yawning is often a symptom for worms sitting in the upper part of the respiratory system.

#88841 - 04/05/10 01:06 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Wieslaw]
Kareema Offline
Chick

Loc: California
I am not sure what name I posted under before. I will try to figure it out. You chicken experts have helped me through two successful bumblefoot treatments and an unsuccessful impacted crop. I know what impacted crop feels and looks like. I would like to add that I am currently unemployed, so the vet is out of the question.

I have shot a video of the hen with my phone. Sorry for the poor quality, but I think you will get the idea. "Goober" (she came to me as an adult rescue hen with that name already) is listless, isolating, picking at food, stretching her neck like she has indigestion, etc. If she were a child or a dog, I would think her symptoms of general malaise, head shaking, scratching on only one side of her head, and keeping the eye at least partially closed would be symptomatic of an ear infection. I have had her for a good 7 years as an adult. She really doesn't lay much any more.

The little Sebright hen in the video "crows," so I know what that looks and sounds like. She thinks she is big stuff and had to be in the video, it appears.

I will now figure out how to upload the video so you can access it.

Thanks for your help,
Kareema

#88842 - 04/05/10 01:47 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Head shaking and scratching plus closed eyes can be a sign of heavy infestation with ear mites. (A magnifying glass can be useful.)

#88844 - 04/05/10 05:26 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Wieslaw]
Kareema Offline
Chick

Thanks for the tip. She is a white Brahma and has had it with me chasing her around today, so I didn't really get a good look. I had some caged bird (canary, etc.) lice/mite spray, so I sprayed her with that to see if there is any change in the head shaking, etc. Since this spray is for tiny birds, perhaps it's not strong enough for a chicken. I also had some Hartz Mt Home flea and tick spray, so I gave the inside of their coop a cursory spray with it. It is getting dark here in California, and it looks like it's going to rain, so proper treatment will have to wait until tomorrow.

I have some poultry grade Sevin dust, but I really don't like this stuff. Is it possible to use Advantage or Frontline on chickens? We only have 5 pet hens: 3 large fowl and 2 bantams.

I am having technical difficulties with uploading the video from my phone. Sorry.

Thanks for your input.

#88847 - 04/06/10 01:32 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Problem with ear mites is described in the thread "My cock moves his head."

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=88238#Post88238

#88848 - 04/06/10 05:49 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Wieslaw]
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Kareema113
Is it possible to use Advantage or Frontline on chickens?

These products are not approved for poultry. Therefore, we do not discuss their use in open forums that are accessible to anyone who visits our Website. The Classroom @ The Coop was listed in an online article a while back about having members who advocate and use such non-approved products on their poultry. Since then those threads have been deleted.

Whether we realize it or not, "Big Brother" does visit poultry forums from time to time to see what subjects are being discussed. I don't think any of us wants a government official showing up at our front door questionning our misuse of products that are not poultry approved. This is why we do not discuss using these products in an open forum. However, what you discuss with other members using the private messaging system is up to you.

#88849 - 04/06/10 09:12 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Rhea Dean Carter]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Ear mites drown easily. Any vegetable oil can be warmed up pleasantly warm (test on your wrist) and poured into the ears. Mites drown. Repeat every 3 or 4 days until the bird acts normal. Mite eggs don't drown as easily, and the repeat treatments get the new hatched ones. It's an old trick our vet taught us for the cats and guinea pigs...and chickens.

#88851 - 04/06/10 10:29 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Rhea Dean Carter]
Kareema Offline
Chick

Originally Posted By: Rhea Dean Carter
These products are not approved for poultry. Therefore, we do not discuss their use in open forums that are accessible to anyone who visits our Website. The Classroom @ The Coop was listed in an online article a while back about having members who advocate and use such non-approved products on their poultry. Since then those threads have been deleted.

I understand. In the meantime, I decided to use the Sevin dust because I already have it. I have had a great number of migrating wild birds come through my yard, so that must have been where this came from since I have never encountered it before since I have had these chickens. I usually dust the hens in the spring anyway since I have a lot of squirrels in my yard as well. I am also going to look into the warm oil method Jocelyn mentions above. She is still shaking her head this morning. None of the others are.

#88854 - 04/06/10 04:10 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Kareema Offline
Chick

Well, she seems better today. Not nearly so much head shaking. Of course, I feel like things are crawling all over me.

Although they have made their own dustbath areas in the yard, I created one today following the directions in the mite/lice thread. I have tipped over the "coop," and we are going to replace some of the wood. I see that the hens have scaly leg mite as well. We have just narrowly avoided losing our home to foreclosure, so I have been preoccupied as of late. I have never dealt with these things before, so coupled with winter and the home problem I just wasn't on top of things.

Thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2