Topic Options
#88724 - 03/25/10 04:41 PM 6-Day-Old Chick Vomiting Water
Shannon Offline
Chicken

Loc: Washington State, San Juan Cou...
I have a 6-day-old chick that drinks lots of water and then vomits it up with lots of bubbles. She looks miserable and weak but still fighting. She is not eating much or at all. I think she may have eaten too much poop. I saw her repeatedly do so--maybe out of thirst. All 27 of this batch of chicks were taught to drink properly upon arrival. I am very careful about that and watched them for the last 4 days. Also, they all had Gro-Gel Plus probiotic supplement during mailing and after arrival. Please, do you have any advice?

#88727 - 03/25/10 08:56 PM Re: 6-Day-Old Chick Vomiting Water [Re: Shannon]
Shannon Offline
Chicken

Hello again, it is a few hours later, and although the chick acts exhausted and sleepy, she gets herself from the water fount to the heat lamp. She acts thirsty, always going back for more every 5-10 minutes. She is unsteady on her feet, but no more vomiting after drinking. I wish she would start eating now, she seems so weak. I put a little Gro-Gel into the water to make it soupy, so maybe she is getting some nutrients. Hopefully she will be stronger in the morning.

#88729 - 03/26/10 02:14 AM Re: 6-Day-Old Chick Vomiting Water [Re: Shannon]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Can you check that the bottom of the brooder is not too hot. I'm thinking here that if your chick is a bit on the hot side, that would make it go to drink frequently. Although in saying that, I presume your chick is in with all the rest?

Try a little hard boiled egg yolk mixed with a very little honey, and moistened with some proper yoghurt. You don't want it too sloppy, or too dry. If she won't eat this, offer her some honeyed water teaspoon dissolved per breakfast cup of tepid water Don't leave this in for all the other chicks to drink, (sweet things like this will make babies scour) just offer to your thirsty one and then withdraw it. Offer several times during the day for only a day. Honey will often improve energy levels and get sick chicks eating again. Let us know how you get on.

#88732 - 03/26/10 10:31 AM Re: 6-Day-Old Chick Vomiting Water [Re: Foehn]
Shannon Offline
Chicken

Thanks for the reply, Foehn. Actually the brooder is relatively cool except under the heat lamp. I'm hoping my husband will plug up some of the 8' x 8" coop's door cracks today, because there is a cold wind blowing!

Sorry, but the chick was dead this morning. I guess she was pretty sick. The others are jumping around with amazing vigor. They don't even seem to mind the cooler corners of the coop. They sit under the heat lamp for a minute to warm up, then it is off to exploring again.

#88735 - 03/26/10 01:30 PM Re: 6-Day-Old Chick Vomiting Water [Re: Shannon]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Sorry you lost your chick, but sounds as if she had something seriously wrong inside. Don't know if chicks get diabetes, but the excessive drinking tends to make me think there was a problem with her whole digestive system. Enjoy the rest of your chicks. They are pretty special little time wasters. smile

#88795 - 03/31/10 04:06 PM Re: 6-Day-Old Chick Vomiting Water [Re: Foehn]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Chickens can't vomit in the same way we can. If water was coming out, it was because her crop was full and the water was not passing into her gizzard. She may have been thirsty because very little water was actually getting through.

In a 6-day-old, this likey indicates some birth defect, unless the chick spent a lot of time eating bedding that got all bunged up in the little crop. That might have plugged things up not letting food or water get through. It's not impossible, but I have never heard of a chick so young getting crop bound.

What is grow gel?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2