Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#88892 - 04/09/10 11:06 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Kareema Offline
Chick

Loc: California
Although the hen seems better overall, her eye on the side that she scratches now sticks shut with matter. I am using the warm cloth method that I would use with a child to soak the eyelid open. Could she have scratched her own eye while scratching her head? Of course, it is possible that she got Sevin dust in her eye, even though we were careful to avert and cover all the hens' heads.

I have not put oil in her ears yet since I have subjected her to so many treatments in the past few days. How do I put the oil in her ears? With an eyedropper?

The entire group's legs look dramatically better.

Please advise.

#88901 - 04/10/10 02:29 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I would definitely open the eye and rinse it with water.

Edited by wieslaw (04/10/10 02:30 AM)

#88913 - 04/10/10 07:21 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Wieslaw]
Kareema Offline
Chick

We opened her eye and rinsed it. Her eye looks clear, and there is no excessive matter, ulceration, or apparent damage to her eyelids. We also put warm vegetable oil in both her ears. Overall she is acting more like herself. However, now there is swelling on the same side of her head that she has been scratching at.

Once we irrigated her eye and put oil in her ears, she began to open her eye a crack, but the swelling appears to be preventing it. Do we need to give her an antibiotic by injection? We have done this before on another one of our hens (for bumblefoot).

Thanks once again for your help.

#88920 - 04/11/10 09:07 AM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I have recently had similar problem with one of my breeding cocks. It started with some kind of wart on the upper eyelid, and after some time the swelling came. I don't want to spread horror, but all the sources I found always mention eye swelling in connection to a contagious respiratory disease. I was terrified that it was coryza again (I had it like 8 or 9 years ago), but this specific smell was not present, and he didn't have any strange symptoms with breathing. I remembered that in my childhood my grandmother had washed my eyes with chamomile, so I washed his eyes too. (I was thinking it would not make it worse.) He is better now, but it looks like he has some foam in the corner of his eye when it is windy (as it nearly always is here).

#88924 - 04/11/10 02:04 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Wieslaw]
Kareema Offline
Chick

Thanks for your input. Here is a front and side view of her head today.

Goober side view of head

Goober front view of head

The swelling did not appear until Thursday. However, she had been holding her eye shut for a few days before. It seems logical that there were ear mites since there was evidence of scaly leg mites.

If this were not a chicken, my Dr. Mom instinct thinks this is an eye and sinus infection to us. She acts like something is infected. Both my kids had recurrent ear infections as children which would lead to pinkeye if not treated immediately. This was due to the short length of the ear canal and they eventually grew out of it. I did some checking around the internet and it looks like this is possible and possibly fatal if untreated. This whole episode started with her shaking her head and scratching at her ear.

I am thinking about getting soluble antibiotic to put in their water since I see that others have treated the entire group for this. I may also give her some of the water orally with an eyedropper for good measure. If there isn't dramatic improvement, we can go the injection route.

What do you think about this course of treatment?

Thanks for your help once again.

#88926 - 04/11/10 03:10 PM Re: Normal crop function looks like what? [Re: Kareema]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I have absolutely no experience in treating this , so maybe somebody else can help. My rooster's swelling was above the eye.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2