Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88217 - 02/13/10 06:29 PM Red Mottled Houdan
Becky Offline
Chick

Loc: Georgia
Has anyone ever seen a picture of or know what the red mottled Houdan once looked like?

#88252 - 02/17/10 10:20 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Becky]
Bob152 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Nebraska
I have not seen a picture, but a friend of mine spoke to someone who once bred them. It's a dark red likend to a Rhode Island Red with white tipped feathers. There also used to be blue mottleds.

#88362 - 02/26/10 04:31 PM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Bob152]
Becky Offline
Chick

Really? I hadn't heard that there used to be blue mottleds. Interesting.

#88762 - 03/30/10 08:38 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Becky]
Becky Offline
Chick

Does anyone have an idea as to how you would go about remaking the red mottled Houdan today? From what I have read, there was a crested Game chicken in there somewhere.

#88768 - 03/30/10 12:03 PM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Becky]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
If you mean red mottled like speckled Sussex, then you just cross your Houdans to them and work from there. If you don't have speckled Sussex, you can use RIRs. You just hatch many eggs from F1 crosses, selecting those which show propper color, leg colour, crest, and number of toes. It can take some generations to regain proper comb.

#88783 - 03/30/10 05:51 PM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Wieslaw]
Becky Offline
Chick

I don't think they had the black like Speckled Sussex do, just the white tips. I thought about Speckled Sussex though. I do have some Rhode Island Reds growing in the brooder.

#88870 - 04/08/10 07:34 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Becky]
Becky Offline
Chick

Do you think it would be easier to breed in one of the new red crested red Polish? Just wondering.

#88873 - 04/08/10 02:02 PM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Becky]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

If you want red birds, you must cross something with red in. So you must decide what kind of red. For example, Rhode Island Reds are very dark, Leghorns are light red, and so forth. None of the breeds have it all. I don't know the exact standard for Houdans in America. In Europe they were originally big birds with a lot of meat. So you must take the Standard and compare it with the birds you can possibly get hold of.

Some things take more time to regain, like white egg colour and proper ear lobe color. So if you could choose something with white eggs, it would be easier in my opinion. What says against Polish is their small body, low egg production, and small eggs. You could do your birds a favour and outcross to something crestless to reduce crest size in case it is too big (the birds can't see).

This link may be helpful to you:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Houdan/HoudanCrev.html

#88921 - 04/11/10 09:14 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Wieslaw]
Becky Offline
Chick

Thank you. I have read that article. I was just wondering if there would be an easier way to go. I was thinking about the egg color and crest when I thought of the red crested red. (I don't happen to have any quite yet. but I will eventually.) However, gaining some size back on the Houdan we have here would definitely be a plus as they tend to be way too small. I just had some little "mistakes" hatch from my Houdan hens escaping their pen that are Houdan x Welsummers. They are cute chicks--dark, dark brown, white stomach, and five toes. They may make some good meat birds if nothing else.

#88933 - 04/12/10 03:53 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Becky]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Usually there is no such thing as "easy way to go" when you are trying to create something new. You must be prepared for "blood, sweat, and tears" instead. Welsummers are supposed to have Mahogany, but they lack Columbian factor that you need. Besides, the egg colour will torture you "for decades." I have read that in America you have a breed called Barred Hollands. It is supposed to be a BIG bird that lays white eggs. You may consider involving it in your project (but only hens). You could try to put red Polish on them first to pick up some genes for big body frame. It's just a suggestion. Before buing your red Polish, make sure that they DO lay white eggs as they are supposed to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw