Topic Options
#88929 - 04/11/10 07:22 PM Young Bird with Weird Droppings
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I feel a little odd posting this, but this has me stumped. Appologies in advance if it seems a little gross.

I have a young Speckled Sussex that is 10 weeks old. She seems happy, eating fine, running about, etc., but I must admit she has not put on weight like her hatchmate.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago she had the weirdest droppings. It looked like bloody round balls that are regular in size and shape to each other. It looked like either "meaty bits" or very large parasite eggs. I couldn't figure it out, but it went away only to come back again worse yesterday.

I guess they are maybe 2-4 mm in diameter, and they come in clusters of maybe 8-15. Some were mixed with poop, and some seem to be just as they were. Of course, I can't find my chicken health handbook anywhere at the moment.

Any ideas what this could be?

#88931 - 04/12/10 01:19 AM Re: Young Bird with Weird Droppings [Re: Ratbird]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
The thing that comes to mind is Coccidiosis, although at ten weeks she should have passed the worst risk of this. Are you feeding chick starter with a Coccidiostat in it?

Blood in the faeces can also be an indication of Newcastles, cecal discharge, Blackhead, Fusariotoxicosis, and Infectious Bursal Disease. These are usually accompanied by diarrhoea.

What you describe sounds different, however. The fact that your bird is falling behind others of the same age suggests something more serious is going on. Any chance you can get your bird to an avian vet or gather a sample of what she is passing for analysis by the vet? If what she has is infectious, you run the risk of all your birds being infected.

#88942 - 04/12/10 07:19 PM Re: Young Bird with Weird Droppings [Re: Foehn]
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I have been feeding regular "start and grow." I assumed all chick starter was medicated in general, but I think I might be wrong.

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/products/poultry/naturewise-chick-starter/index.jsp

It does not appear to be free blood but more like bloody tissue. I did notice some red coloured mucus-like stuff mixed in with her regluar droppings. It is just too werid, and I totally agree that I need to get a determination on it in case it is infectious. I have just finished paying a bomb in vet bills.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2