Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88944 - 04/13/10 05:32 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Wieslaw]
Becky Offline
Chick

Loc: Georgia
I understand that it takes a long time and a great deal of work. I don't plan on using my little "mistakes" for anything, but they are SO cute!

Barred Hollands are a bit rare, and I haven't seen any real large ones here yet but haven't really been looking. This is just a future project that I have been thinking about. It is not one that I can attempt right off as I have too many projects going now, but I like to gather as much information ahead of time as I can.

Thanks so much for all your help.

#95452 - 03/30/11 07:25 PM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Wieslaw]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Take a look at Orloffs or speckled Sussex, then You can imagine how they could look like.
Somehow darker than tollbunt Polish and of course with their unique butterfly comb.
Here is a description, how Donald Baerman had created them
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Houdan/HoudanCrev.html

#109685 - 05/24/13 03:10 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Redcap]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Have You any progress in Your project?
I guess that red Houdans should be really understood as tollbunt, as the black mottled Houdans were crossed with buff laced Polands, the offspring was surely tollbunt.

#116257 - 01/06/17 08:19 AM Re: Red Mottled Houdan [Re: Wieslaw]
Apino Offline
Chick

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Wieslaw
If you mean red mottled like speckled Sussex, then you just cross your Houdans to them and work from there. If you don't have speckled Sussex, you can use RIRs. You just hatch many eggs from F1 crosses, selecting those which show propper color, leg colour, crest, and number of toes. It can take some generations to regain proper comb.

I used RIR with Ancon wich is mo like the Houdan. F1 were all dark with some red on head.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw