Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#88951 - 04/14/10 07:03 AM Mottling and Linkages
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I have posted this before on another thread but decided to make it a thread of its own to make it more visible.

1.On this link:

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page3.html

there is a table "Autosomal Linkage Group 2 Genes." In this table the mottling gene is placed together with dominant white. Does anybody know on what basis this table is made (where the conclusion came from)? I'm asking because I crossed black Minorca to white Leghorns repeatedly, and I never had any problems with extracting mottling (provided it was there) from white Leghorns. It was too easy to suggest any linkage, so I'm really surprised to find it.

2. In one of the old threads rokimoto says that there may be linkage between e-locus and the mottling gene but not very close. My personal suspicion is that it may be more than that. I crossed F1 from original black mottled Leghorn X brown Leghorn mating. I got mottles galore in F2 but only on the black. Out of 7 chipmunks that hatched only one was moMo; the rest were MoMo. I can't hatch hundreds of chicks (no space, neighbours) to make it statistically significant. Is there anyone out there who had similar experiences? Or quite opposite?

I encourage the unregistered readers to register and contribute if you have experience in the subject. I can't believe nobody tried to move mottles from ER-birds to e+ (or between other e-loci).

#88952 - 04/14/10 08:55 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Wieslaw]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
If genes are more than 50 map units apart on the same chromosome, they segregate independently. If I and mo were closely linked, you should not get the combination with mottled expressing that easily. But how would that look?

#88953 - 04/14/10 10:32 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Henk69]
Black Feather Offline
Bantam

Loc: France
I think there is a mistake in this table about Mottling in Linkage Group II. As far as I know, Mottling (Mo) is linked to Extension (E) at 26 cM, as has already been said by Ron Okimoto. As we now know that Extension is MC1R gene, it indicates that Mottling and Extension should both be on Chromosome 11.

Has someone an indication of the linkage between Mottling and other locus from Linkage Group II, as Crest (Cr), Dominant White (I), or Frizzled (F)?

#88954 - 04/14/10 12:18 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Black Feather]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Black Feather, you don't know how glad you have made me. I haven't noticed this "26cM" before. I have always felt that it was something like that. So now I feel like I discovered it myself.

#88955 - 04/14/10 12:53 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Wieslaw]
Black Feather Offline
Bantam

I think that the probable distance of 26cM between E and Mo has been proposed by Brumbaugh and Hollander, but I need to check.

Brumbaugh, JA and Hollander, WF, A Further Study of the E Pattern Locus in the Fowl, Iowa State Journal of Science, 40:51-64, 1965.

#90956 - 08/10/10 09:10 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Black Feather]
Sonoran Silkies Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
I think the data in http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/linkages.html is probably more current than that in Sellers. Unfortunately, mottle is not listed frown

#90958 - 08/10/10 10:05 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Sonoran Silkies]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Therefore I launched this thread, but as you can see the responses were very few. But the linkage stated here in this thread worked in my case.

#90980 - 08/11/10 02:01 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Wieslaw]
Black Feather Offline
Bantam

I have checked in chapter "Linkage relationships and gene mapping", by Bitgood and Somes, in the book "Poultry Breeding and Genetics", edited by Crawford.

There is a table with genes showing independent segregation.
In this table, we can see that Mo segregates independently from :
- Cr (Crest, linkage group II)
- D (Duplex comb, linkage group IV)
- Fl (Flightless, linkage group III)
- M (Multiple spurs, linkage group IV)
- Mb (Muffs and beard, chromosome 1 ?)
- Po (Polydactily, linkage group IV)

Nothing else is available I think.

Edited by Black Feather (08/11/10 02:01 AM)

#90981 - 08/11/10 02:11 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Black Feather]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Hi Black Feather, thanks for the information. Just to understand correctly: the information you gave before(26 cM) is still valid?

#90994 - 08/11/10 12:07 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Wieslaw]
Black Feather Offline
Bantam

Hello,

I was not able to find the Iowa State Journal to check the text of this reference.
But there is no reason to expect that the result of 26 cM between Mo and E was misunderstood in the next publications.

Any confirmation would be great, if someone has families large enough...

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box