Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#114597 - 07/12/15 10:34 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Robbie]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Robbie, thank you very much for the link. I love you even though I do not know you! smile

#114603 - 07/14/15 09:00 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Wieslaw]
Robbie Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
Wieslaw you are welcome. :-)
I hope it works ......

I should mention that the rooster collar video was posted a few months ago on the Poultry Swap Ontario forum- that's where I first saw it. So, I believe it's actually Cuttlefish (I think that was the original poster) you love ;-)

#114604 - 07/14/15 11:42 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Robbie]
Hen-Gen Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Extraordinary. TheCoop seems to have turned into a gay cruising site! I'm not sure I want to know what a 'rooster collar' is! grin

#114605 - 07/15/15 12:03 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Robbie]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Robbie
Wieslaw you are welcome. :-)
I hope it works ......

I should mention that the rooster collar video was posted a few months ago on the Poultry Swap Ontario forum- that's where I first saw it. So, I believe it's actually Cuttlefish (I think that was the original poster) you love ;-)

I'm in the process of trying it out. I started with a loose collar. The rooster was walking backwards for a few hours trying to shake it off. After the first tightening his pitch went actually one note higher. After the second tightening it began to work, but not always. I will try one more tightening.
In my opinion the inventor should be given the Nobel award.

#114607 - 07/15/15 03:28 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Wieslaw]
Redcap Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Hopefully, Your poor rooster's head (Sic! I avoid the equivocal word ) don't turn to blue and die off

#114608 - 07/15/15 07:24 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Redcap]
Robbie Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hen-Gen both Cuttlefish and I are girls, so no cruising worries. :-)

Check out the video, it's just a piece of velcro around the rooster's neck that doesn't allow him to crow. I think the trick might be to keep the velcro low on the neck.

#114612 - 07/16/15 05:58 AM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Robbie]
Hen-Gen Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Originally Posted By: Robbie
Hen-Gen both Cuttlefish and I are girls, so no cruising worries. :-)

Darn it! grin

#115021 - 10/31/15 02:14 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: KazJaps]
Redcap Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: KazJaps
Lanae

I recall years ago seeing similar phenotype on an American egroup/forum. I think they were called Harlequins. Can't remember now if on a Game, Ameraucana, or?

The local Gamers believe that the Pit Game Spotties descended from 'Gurney Pieds' (an old OEG strain). I wouldn't be surprised if the genetics were in American Game.
This is a local Australian Pit Game - Ginger Spotty:

Although not shown in the photo above, some of the pigmented feathers do have white tips, some similar to large mottled tips, others splashes of white. Yet no black mottled or exchequer segregate in the line I have (ie none in the breeder's flock). Neither were there any barred or crele birds. There were plenty of predominantly white with occasional black flecks, ie similar to Dominant White (which I suspect might be homozygous spotties).

There is a similar phenotype Game bird in Batty's OEG Colour Guide (2000) book. The photo was apparently of a bird from the 'Orient'. Batty suggested Blue (ie Blue Splash).

----------------------
Here is Quinn's paper on the red splashed whites:

A Colour Mutation in the Rhode Island Red Fowl.
Joseph P. Quinn
Journal of Genetics. Vol. 29, No. 1. 75-83. (April, 1934)
full paper
*red splashed white mutation (B/W photos) - full paper still available

The following Hutt's paper on Erminettes:

Genetic Basis Of The Erminette Breed Of Fowls.
(F. B. Hutt, J Hered-1964-HUTT-200-6)
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/5/200.full.pdf
* need to subscribe now to see full paper.

I think the red splash white mutation could be the same as Jubilee, which was considered as I/i in this study.
But this view can be considered as very simplified
http://documents.kippenjungle.nl/#post13
It seems crazy, but I've read some days ago a paragraph, where they used the nomenclature I^rsw (red splashed white).
I was surprized, as I've never heard about this, that red splashed white shall be a mutation of I.
Could this be possible? Unfortunately I can't find this source, where this was mentioned again.
Or should rs rather be considered as a pattern mutation, which could be seen as red exchequer/harlequin?

#115022 - 10/31/15 05:35 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: Redcap]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Redcap,

I've determined through test breeding that the Australian Pit Game spotty mutation (as depicted in the close-up photo you posted) is a sex-linked dominant mutation. I'm trying to segregate a homozygous spotty male this season, hopefully will be one in these chicks:

My guess at this stage is that the mutation is incompletely dominant, but will have to wait & see.

So the spotty mutation, being sex-linked, means that we can rule out rs Red-splashed white (autosomal) and Erminette (autosomal incomplete dominant), plus I Dominant White and mo Mottled for the spotty locus. Fingers crossed, hopefully I can test breed spotty with the B barred locus within a year.

Erminette wasn't tested with I locus, so don't know if I or an allele of I locus.

Red-splashed white, being a recessive & giving both eumelanin and phaeomelanin splashes, sounds very different to an I locus mutation. It was test bred against 3 different recessive white breeds, not an allele of c locus. I suppose it could have been an allele of mo locus, but not tested for this.

#115023 - 10/31/15 05:44 PM Re: Mottling and Linkages [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
With my reference to the mo locus for testing rs locus, I had the mo^w white allele in mind....

Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box