Topic Options
#89456 - 05/25/10 05:33 PM Yellow Ear Crud
Tim Offline
New Egg

Loc: Texas
One of my buff bantam cocks is a real pet. If I sit in a chair out in the yard, he comes and jumps up on my knee. He did this today, and I noticed his head was a little stinky. Upon closer inspection I found both of his ears to be full of yellow cheese looking stuff. I cleaned out as much as I could without hurting him. He does not act ill in any way. He eats and drinks as usual.

What is this? Is it something I should be concerned about? If so, how should I treat it?
Thank you. Tim

#89462 - 05/26/10 11:03 AM Re: Yellow Ear Crud [Re: Tim]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Check his ears for ear mites. There have been two threads recently on the subject.

#89464 - 05/26/10 12:18 PM Re: Yellow Ear Crud [Re: Wieslaw]
Tim Offline
New Egg

I dust my birds regularly and spray them with Adams flea and tick spray. I also worm regularly with Ivermectin. I examined his ears pretty closely as I was digging out the crud. I did not notice any mites. I will try and find the threads you speak of. Could it be anything else?

#89504 - 05/29/10 06:33 AM Re: Yellow Ear Crud [Re: Tim]
Tim Offline
New Egg

I think he just has really bad ear infections. I dug out all of the cheese looking stuff with gentle massage and tweezers. I put vet-RX in each ear and gave him a shot of Tylan 50. I will follow that up with another shot tomorrow. We examined him VERY closely and were unable to find any evidence of mites. I do appreciate your input, Wieslaw. It seems like this place is becomming abandoned unless you are really into genetics. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2