Topic Options
#89602 - 06/04/10 10:58 AM New Rooster
Nehus Offline
New Egg

Loc: Arkansas
I had recently lost my last male chicken to a racoon. The chickens I have now are about 2 1/2 months old. I decided to go to a sale barn to look for a rooster. I've had him for 2 or 3 days now, and he seems more laid back than any other male I've had. He lays down a lot, eats a lot, and I haven't heard him crow once since I got him. I don't think he's sick; he looks healthy. He also ignores the other pullets and pecks at them when they get around the food. Does it just take time for him to get settled in, or should I look for more of a better leader?

#89607 - 06/04/10 03:03 PM Re: New Rooster [Re: Nehus]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Obviously you did not quarantine him for a couple of weeks! Laying down a lot is not usual for a newcomer. Typically a new bird will be pretty jumpy and alert, getting used to a new home. (Pecking strangers is usual, for a short time, until he sorts out that they are all females.)

"Looking healthy" is NOT a good diagnoses for "healthy," and it sometimes takes a while to see symptoms of anything you can identify. I hope he is okay, but I would sure pen him away from your pullets for a week--two weeks is better. Barn sales can be great or RISKY, as they are a dumping ground for birds, as well as a place to sell excess roosters! It's not always easy to tell the difference! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn