Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95584 - 04/05/11 06:30 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Uno]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Anyone every try a non-working hot water tank? I have 2, they hold about 30 gallons of water, the water is kept cool in summer and less likely to freeze in the winter and you can drop one of those rod type water heater in it then. I use the spigot on the bottom, the one you would use to empty the tank and just screw in one of those dog water spigots that you can use on the water spigot outside. The chickens are naturally curious and when they peck at the rod in the center, and the water dribbles out, they figure it out real quick. The water stays clean and there isn't any clean up.

#95617 - 04/07/11 08:39 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Smooth Mule]
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
Wow, that is a really interesting idea. I hate cleaning my automatic waterer every day.....Could you post a picture of your invention? smile

#95849 - 04/20/11 12:39 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Smooth Mule]
Karen T. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule
Anyone every try a non-working hot water tank? I have 2, they hold about 30 gallons of water, the water is kept cool in summer and less likely to freeze in the winter and you can drop one of those rod type water heater in it then. I use the spigot on the bottom, the one you would use to empty the tank and just screw in one of those dog water spigots that you can use on the water spigot outside. The chickens are naturally curious and when they peck at the rod in the center, and the water dribbles out, they figure it out real quick. The water stays clean and there isn't any clean up.

========
Please, Please, Smooth Mule, post a pic. This sounds like the answer to a lot of winter watering problems!
Thanks,
Karen T. and the Salmon Mrans

Edited by Karen T. (04/20/11 12:39 AM)

#96276 - 05/08/11 04:59 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Karen T.]
gregp Offline
New Egg

Loc: Hawaii,USA
My experience with galvanized waterers is this...Put the galvanized can next to plastic and the chickens will empty the plastic container first or not use the metal at all. Seems to me they don't likee the taste of metal. I don't either. As a child I remember galvaized coolers and their bad taste. Thank God they don't have those for humans any more. Did I just tell my age?

#96330 - 05/12/11 04:19 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Uno]
Robert88 Offline
New Egg

Loc: USA
In my opinion you should use only the plastic ones because they don't rust. And also easy and cheap to replace.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2