Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89667 - 06/07/10 01:16 PM Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I have a couple 2-gallon galvanized metal waterers that are very, very rusty. Can they be safely painted with galvanized paint? I'm afraid if I use them the way they are, they may be leaching out lead, which is used in the galvanizing process. Or alternately I'm afraid the galvanized paint is not intended to be used on food containers.

If anyone knows how I can clean up these rusty waterers, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Karen

#89671 - 06/07/10 07:19 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Karen]
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
I have finally concluded that galvanized waterers are a waste of time and money after several have rusted out. What we use now is a 2-gallon ice cream tub from the local ice cream place (cost 50 cents). Carve a slot about half an inch deep by one fifth of an inch wide just below the rim. Then fill it up with water, put the lid back on (this part is important), and up-end it in a big plant pot saucer (cost about $6) or any saucer that is a few inches wider than the top of the tub and a couple of inches deep. An old steel frying pan would work, too.

The beauty of this is that you can see the water level through the translucent plastic, and it is WAY cheaper than the galvanized ones.

#89673 - 06/07/10 07:42 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: IPF]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I agree that galvanized waterers are a waste. Galvanized feeders are okay if you can find a design that it easy for the chickens (bantams for me) to feed from. But they should not be outside. Keep them dry, and they will not rust or corrode.

I use dog waterers, half gallon plastic ones with a "bowl" attached to one side. This will only take care of a pen of 3-6 birds for up to a week (the way I keep my birds.) Flocks need something like IPF describes. All will need replacing from time to time. Mine are cleaned in a bucket of light Purex solution and get cleaned well about once a month. Place it against a wall with a shingle or cardboard above so the birds cannot perch on top. This keeps the water clean, as well as keeping it up off the ground or floor so dirt or shavings are not scratched into it. You have to be creative. The industry has not given us a really good product for small flock feeders or waterers. There is room for invention out there! CJR

#89677 - 06/08/10 01:46 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: CJR]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
I don't use critter specific stuff; I use what works best here. About 25-30 years ago I bought several of these that were sold as dog waterers. They had floats on them for automatic waterers. I took the floats off of some I use for feeders and hose filling water. Sun temperatures here for 6 months of the year are up in the hundreds, so I can't use automatic waterers--the water comes out scalding hot! I have to let it run a while to cool down before filling. They're what I use for feeding/watering the poultry. They hold 3 gallons of water, are about 3 1/2 inches tall, and about 20 inches across.

Since all my stock roam free, the birds also drink out of the other critter's waterers.

#89790 - 06/15/10 12:27 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Rogo]
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Thank you, everyone, for your replys. Sorry for the delay in answering. All my other waterers are plastic, but the galvanized hold 2 gallons each and don't get as slimy. Since I have them, I'd like to be able to utilize them.

Karen

#89820 - 06/16/10 04:25 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Karen]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I don't want to spread horror, but I've recently read that plastic waterers standing in the sun can emit some hormone-like stuff, which can influence the hormone balance of the birds.

#89838 - 06/16/10 11:40 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Wieslaw]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I use a big, flattish rubber horse feeder for chicken water. They stand on the edge to drink, fill it with filthy foot goo, and then poop in it before leaving. It gathers gunge in the bottom. It drives me crazy!

I ruined my galvanized tip-over pail by adding apple cider vinegar to the water. I think the ACV is a good idea but NOT in a galvanized waterer. The water now turns orange from rust.

I have wondered about letting it dry out completely, then dumping in a splash of vegetable oil and rolling it all around the inside. WOuld the oil coat the surface enough to keep the rust from getting in the water? If vegetable oil can help with rust, I'm going to rub it all over my truck! I also think I'm going to try IPF's big ice cream pail idea.

#89905 - 06/20/10 06:05 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Uno]
Kathy W. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
I use the 1 gallon "buckets" which 9 pounds of peanut butter comes in (my food coop gives them to me and I can also buy them online). Similar buckets for painting can be bought from paint stores but the plastic isn't as heavy and I have to replace them more often. Still, they last for 2 or 3 years and cost about $4. The food ones last almost forever barring major accident (like having been left in the driveway and getting run over).

They are too tall for chicks but from about 6 weeks onwards the chickens drink out of them pretty easily. They are much easier to clean than the galvanized waterers. - Kathy

#91045 - 08/13/10 10:07 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Kathy W.]
grma jo Offline
New Egg

Loc: usa
i realize i am late in posting this..but maybe helpful to someone..i use the gav. metal watersjust for broilers for few weeks each year...and mine are RUSTY in the past ive scrubbed and scrubbed..even went so far as using iron out...believe it or not..that stuff did not even scrape the surface of removing rust....now all i use is cheapest white vinegar. at night i dump all water out..pour 1/2 gallon of vinegar in & let sit overnight. careful of where you dump out..browns -kills grass..(recycle as weed killer??)... spray & rinse out real good all rust is gone......i do this maybe once every 5 days....i only use these waters approx. 5-6 weeks for broilers. rest of year in storage..rusting away.. ive never read about using metal paint being food grade safe..more than likey is not....have thought of beeswaxing ..food grade safe..just havent done so yet. thought maybe once rust is removed & dried..melting beeswax & pouring & rolling til sides are all coated...dont know if it will work - stick to metal like i think it would..but also what would happen once water is applied??peel off??

#91085 - 08/15/10 06:09 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: grma jo]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hubby brought home a barrel, cut in half, to use as horse waterer. It used to store antifreeze. I washed it out VERY well, but the interior was very rusty. I let it dry out and warm up in the heat of the day and rubbed the interior with mineral oil. I think it slowed down the transfer of rust into the water, but didn't stop it completely. THe mineral oil turned the water a milky colour. And I freaked out over the idea of antifreeze so ditched the barrel after all. So oiling for rust control..didn't work too well in this application.

#95584 - 04/05/11 06:30 PM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Uno]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Anyone every try a non-working hot water tank? I have 2, they hold about 30 gallons of water, the water is kept cool in summer and less likely to freeze in the winter and you can drop one of those rod type water heater in it then. I use the spigot on the bottom, the one you would use to empty the tank and just screw in one of those dog water spigots that you can use on the water spigot outside. The chickens are naturally curious and when they peck at the rod in the center, and the water dribbles out, they figure it out real quick. The water stays clean and there isn't any clean up.

#95617 - 04/07/11 08:39 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Smooth Mule]
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
Wow, that is a really interesting idea. I hate cleaning my automatic waterer every day.....Could you post a picture of your invention? smile

#95849 - 04/20/11 12:39 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Smooth Mule]
Karen T. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule
Anyone every try a non-working hot water tank? I have 2, they hold about 30 gallons of water, the water is kept cool in summer and less likely to freeze in the winter and you can drop one of those rod type water heater in it then. I use the spigot on the bottom, the one you would use to empty the tank and just screw in one of those dog water spigots that you can use on the water spigot outside. The chickens are naturally curious and when they peck at the rod in the center, and the water dribbles out, they figure it out real quick. The water stays clean and there isn't any clean up.

========
Please, Please, Smooth Mule, post a pic. This sounds like the answer to a lot of winter watering problems!
Thanks,
Karen T. and the Salmon Mrans

Edited by Karen T. (04/20/11 12:39 AM)

#96276 - 05/08/11 04:59 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Karen T.]
gregp Offline
New Egg

Loc: Hawaii,USA
My experience with galvanized waterers is this...Put the galvanized can next to plastic and the chickens will empty the plastic container first or not use the metal at all. Seems to me they don't likee the taste of metal. I don't either. As a child I remember galvaized coolers and their bad taste. Thank God they don't have those for humans any more. Did I just tell my age?

#96330 - 05/12/11 04:19 AM Re: Rusty Galvanized Metal Waterers [Re: Uno]
Robert88 Offline
New Egg

Loc: USA
In my opinion you should use only the plastic ones because they don't rust. And also easy and cheap to replace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2