Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89106 - 04/26/10 11:06 AM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: Mot]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I'm trying to understand correctly: Did they come out of the shell by themselves with unabsorbed yolk? Were they alive and you pulled them out before they are ready? At any rate, it's not just the way it goes(not in that ratio)

#89117 - 04/27/10 01:00 PM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: Wieslaw]
Morcar Offline
Chick

Loc: California
What is pipping?

#89118 - 04/27/10 01:11 PM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: Morcar]
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Pipping is when the chick begins to break through the shell. Often times the chick will begin by making a small hole in the shell.

#90456 - 07/17/10 10:12 AM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: Rhea Dean Carter]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
It's a shame this thread ground to a halt. MOT never answered so we will never know the answer to her 'yolk' problem.

I had one like that. 2 eggs set 1 day apart. The first one due never pipped externally although I was sure I could hear it tapping. The one that was due a day later started pipping quite early and then stopped.

My batch of 24 was already fast reaching the point when I should have called it a day. The cheeper was still cheeping and the tapper stopped. I opened up the tapper and it was dead with part of the yolk still not absorbed. No bleeding when I peeled it out.

The cheeper I agonised over but finally opened that up despite a bit of blood and rescued a deaths door very weak chick, now going strong 2 days later.

I would dearly love to know what the unabsorbed yolk means. Of the remainder there were 2 more seemingly fully developed chicks that never pipped.

Gay

#90460 - 07/17/10 06:54 PM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: GSC]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I had a hen that left the nest after one chick hatched. Two others had hatched but were dead in the nest. I took the cardboard nest box and unhatched eggs to the garden to put in the compost but didn't get around to it til the next day. As I was cracking the eggs to see the innards, one peeped. A third of it's shell was off but the membrane was intact. I put it under one of the broody hens and the next day there was a perfect buff Orpington chick. It was left out overnight and cracked by me and lived. In a way, that was helping it out of the shell.

#90462 - 07/17/10 10:07 PM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Quote:
It's a shame this thread ground to a halt.

Sorry... but get used to it! If you're not talking genetics...then your voice is MUTE.

#90468 - 07/18/10 12:49 AM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: D. Pollock]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
The unabsorbed yolk means the chick didn't cross the finish line. It seems that when a chick begins to hatch, the yolk is still out. Over the next 12 -24 hours as the chick pecks his way out and moves around, the blood that is in the vein system against the shell wall pulls slowly into his body, and so does the yolk. When I help a chick hatch and the membrane bleeds, I know his yolk is still out and I cannot take him out of the shell. Once the membrane no longer bleeds if you tear it, its pretty sure the yolk is all in the gut and the chick is ready to come out (or be helped out).

Why chicks die this close to hatch is a mystery that the average person will not solve. I just know that at time I will have a pile of dead bodies, all perfect looking, except for that yolk sticking out. But I have learned that I have a high percentage of drowned chicks and thus am a bonafide DRY HATCHER. That is another topic for another post though.

PS we are not all cerebral, brainiac geneticists. I know a few and generally I like them, but I still blather on about topics that are NOT genetic in nature, although lately I've been a bit scarce around here.

#90469 - 07/18/10 01:01 AM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: Uno]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks Uno (and D.Pollock for that valuable insight ;))

One of the things about my last hatch that I noticed after the event was that the front fan wasn't working. The humidity was carefully monitored by 2 addtional hygrometers as well as temp but maybe the air ciculation wasn't as good as it should have been.

Ah well I will keep asking questions and in time hopefully will have more answers.

#115707 - 05/03/16 05:41 AM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: GSC]
tabch Offline
New Egg

Loc: Netherlands
Here is the just of it: NEVER EVER help a chick hatch.
I learned it the hard way, many a time I lost many of them because I simply could not handle my anticipation smile
This is an old thread, but I had to throw my 2 cents, it might help some others smile

Reading this forum, you probably are a newbie as I am.
I know how impatient you could be waiting to see the baby chick out of the shell, I know I was, and still am whenever there is a clutch in the incubator, I was also a bit afraid that they would die if the hatching takes too long. You have probably read many times that you should not even open the incubator until all the chicks are out of their shells, much less help them hatch, it is dangerous and can often lead to bleeding & the death of the baby birds.

Here is the thing: do not worry for their safety!
As long as they cracked the shell and thus they can breath, there is nowhere in the world safer for them than inside that shell.

A chick can survive without food or water for up to 3 days, add to that 1 day (because inside the shell it is not moving nor spending energy). Besides, if it did not get out yet, chances are that it did not finish absorbing its yolk yet, so add 1 more day.
All in all, you can leave the chicks in their shell for up to 5 days (in most extreme cases) after they make the first crack !!!

Hope this would help some of you smile

Edited by tabch (05/03/16 05:53 AM)

#115709 - 05/03/16 06:46 AM Re: Why not help chicks finish hatching? [Re: tabch]
Robbie Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
Definitely helpful, it is tempting to help but of course it's really counter productive.
However, is a chick that can't hatch on it's own too weak to keep? I want to maintain a vigorous, healthy flock.

I see that this has been well discussed in this thread, my personal belief after reading all the pros/cons is to just keep the ones that hatch by themselves.

Edited by Robbie (05/03/16 06:54 AM)
Edit Reason: added some comments.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2