Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9047 - 09/23/02 04:17 PM Winter lighting for pullets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have pullets coming into lay the first week of October. Will they go into a molt or stop laying if I don't supply additional lighting other than natural daylight? The Henhouse is insulated and will not go below 34 degrees, But the days get quite short here in Wisconsin.

#9048 - 09/23/02 04:37 PM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, This will be my first winter with chickens in lots of years but I've been doing my research and reading the Coop too. laugh Your chickens won't moult until next year and should lay through the winter but not as well as they will lay in warmer weather.
Birds are contolled by light so if you want more eggs you should put some artificial light in the coop area. The experts recommend that you put a timer on your light so it comes on early in the morning instead of staying on later at night. The reason is the chickens need to get ready to roost and get themselves situated at night. If the light suddenly goes out, they will panic and may get hurt. Therefore add more light in the morning and let it naturally get darker at night. More light equals more eggs.
Did I get it right?

#9049 - 09/23/02 05:15 PM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Anonymous
Unregistered

THIS IS MY FIRST WINTER WITH CHICKENS TOO. SO ANOTHERWARDS I SHOULD NOT LEAVE THE LIGHT ON ALL NIGHT. I HAVE 19 THREE YEAR OLD CHICKENS AND 16 HATCHED JULY 15, ONE DIED THIS MORNING (MY OWN FAULT) GOT CRUSHED BY A BOARD, AND 2 HATCHED AUGUST 5TH, ONE DIED FROM MY 4 YEAR OLD HOLDING IT TOO TIGHT. I HUNG THE LIGHT YESTERDAY THEY SAID WE ARE GETTING FROST TONIGHT. SO AS I UNDERSTAND THE LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF WHILE IT IS DARK OUTSIDE. I DON'T THINK MY COOP IS VERY WELL INSULATED. THE COOP AND THE OLDER CHICKENS CAME WITH OUR HOUSE WE BOUGHT IN MARCH. THANKS...LORI smile

#9050 - 09/23/02 05:49 PM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Yes SAltygal you said it perfect.

#9051 - 09/23/02 06:09 PM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is what I am doing for light, for my birds. They are only about 16 days old so next spring they will start to lay. I give them 22 hours of light. My timer is set to turn the light off at 7p.m. which is still day light. It stays off to around 9:30p.m. this gives them 2 hours of night introduced as the sun goes down. As they get older I will reduce their light until it reaches about 8 to 10 hours of light, than increase the light so that they get a maximum of 15 hours of light when they are at laying age.

Craig

#9052 - 09/23/02 06:14 PM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Here's a handy website to check sunrise and sunset times (also moon phases if you're interested). 14 hours of light will keep girls laying through the winter just fine. I agree with all of the above. This website gives you a calendar that is printer friendly.

Sunrise/Sunset Calendar

Susie

#9053 - 09/23/02 08:00 PM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Great Site, Susie. Thanks!

#9054 - 09/24/02 03:22 AM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
One thing you don't really need the lights for laying hens in the summer. But when the natural day length starts to shorten, start the lights but add it slowly 15 min. every couple of days untill natural light and supplemental light equal 14 hours. So here in Mich my lights come on around 3:00 am and go off at 8:00 am in Jan., in mid Feb I slowly take it away. If you do it to fast you could throw the birds into a moult.

#9055 - 09/24/02 03:32 AM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Susie, thank you for the site!

#9056 - 09/24/02 10:54 AM Re: Winter lighting for pullets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question: My chicks are 7 weeks old, and seemed to want to stay outside in a pile rather then go inside the barn at night. I read (on "The Coop" of course) that I should turn the light on at night for them to find their way inside. Is this just a temporary thing? Should I be switching the light on in the morning, rather then at night?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn