Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90760 - 08/01/10 11:27 PM Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
Morning all - anyone know about the way sounds travels etc.?

I have the usual crowing/neighbour problem. I have bought a sound meter and I am quite astonished about the level of noise certain things make.

Background noise level when I think all is quiet is 35-40 decibels. The dawn chorus from wild birds can take it to about 45 with the windows open.

With the exception of one particularly strident cockerel who is probably a little unsure of himself (crows all day long), I have the noise level down to within 2 or 3 decibels max of the noise level coming from wild birds, pigeons etc..

My question relates to what annoys people. It seems to me there is no logical reason why cockerels crowiing (when they are housed with the sound muffled at a similar level to wild birds) should wake or irritate at all.

We are close to East Midland Airport and planes going overhead take the decibel level to 65 sometimes 70 and people happily sleep through that.

Is this a question of what one gets used to or is there something in the pitch or quality that some-one might have difficulty with?

The cockerels (and hens) are housed in small coops and arks over a 2 acre field and the noisy cockerel is on my back patio where he gets special 'noise reduction' treatment. He will go once I have enough eggs from him as he is only on loan.

I must admit the pitch of his crow annoys me when I'm trying to work but then lots of things irritate me when I'm concentrating. crazy

#90764 - 08/02/10 01:37 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I was once told, that if people complain about cocks crowing then YOU are the REAL problem for some reason. My sleeping room window is facing my coop. My 'policy' is that if I can sleep without waking up because of the cocks crowing, then anybody can(I wake up by the 'sound of mouse running'). They can just close the windows for the morning. Otherwise they must live with the sounds here in Denmark, if you can keep the cocks quiet until 7 o'clock or so, provided you live in a zone where it is allowed to keep poultry

#90765 - 08/02/10 01:57 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I agree with you to some extent. In this instance the neighbours have been fine to date.

My fear now is that having had a couple of weeks of a particularly loud and strident cockerel who started at 4.30 before he settled down, we have may have a problem of any crowing at all is going to irritate.

Like you were intimating, it's human nature once something annoys that you begin to watch out for it.

The main culprit no longer crows at 4.30 - 7am this morning - and his day time crowing is getting less frequent. The others are now within legal limits but I fear now that they will be listening for it.

I was wondering if the pitch actually made a difference to many people. I find the strident noise of this one particularly grating no matter how loud/quiet.

I really have 2 issues - 1 is stay legal, the other is to keep the neighbours happy if possible. As you say, once the neighbours have decided they have a problem with you it can lead to other things.

By the way we are talking about 2 acres of agricultural land not a back garden.

#90766 - 08/02/10 02:24 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I think the pitch can make a difference. I think I could be irritated too if I had a Denizli crowing in the backyard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiWoWoM4R0

or Kosova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY40Btzs0RQ

Last year I had a big problem with one rooster(extremely lovely one in all respects). Not only was he crowing all day long(I think he was trying to break world record) but he also developed the habit of uttering this 'danger from above warning call' between the crowings even if there was none or it was just a sparrow flying by. I was close to tears when I had to get rid of him, but I didn't want to annoy the neighbors more than necessary. I just want to add that I don't 'feel guilty' if the neighbors are also producing 'sounds'.(like having a dog, a boat they 'are trying' on the ground, are fond of motorcycles and so on. I'm only 'afraid' of the quiet ones.

#90767 - 08/02/10 03:26 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Oh my that would drive me insane.

I know what you mean about neighbours. The one I expected the trouble to come from has probably already rang the council. She hates me since we bought the field and I politely told her she could carry on running her dog but some-one should be with him. Went down like a lead balloon as they used to just turn him loose at the front door.

The neighbours with problem are usually fine which I why I am keen to do what I can.

My big Marans boy has a deeper crow and doesn't feel the need to crow so often. I have him where a line of trees might deaden the sound, I hope.

HE IS WAY UNDER THE DECIBEL LEVEL OF OVERHEAD PLANES AT ALL HOURS!

Edited by GSC (08/02/10 11:48 PM)

#90799 - 08/02/10 04:52 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona

My dogs only bark when there's a reason. Most of the other dogs around here bark 24/7.

I've always kept more roosters than you're 'supposed' to, but I like 'em. No coop here, they roam free with my hens.

The roosters crow at all hours of the day and night....my answer to the barking dogs! -G- All the roosters in the area talk to each other! This is a livestock area, so no complaints.

I wear ear plugs when I sleep.

#90850 - 08/04/10 07:14 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I don't think you should feel threatened by the dog owners.You can always keep them in check with dog's barking or pooing on your field. Cat owners can be kept in check with cat pooing in your flower beds. The worst are the ones who have nothing to do after the work. No animals, no gardening interest, and so on. Those are the ones who can plague you just out of boredom.

#90861 - 08/04/10 01:54 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona

Where I'm at is a short term rental until the end of the year - unless I break the lease!

Too many city folks mixed in with the livestock folks. And these city folks are inconsiderate bas--rds.

I'm not used to living close to neighbors, but this was a 'have to' at the time. One acre is not large enough!! Hopefully, with my next move, life will go back to normal.

#90878 - 08/04/10 11:40 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Rogo]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Lol Rogo - tell me about it. We have 2 acres and yes - it is not enough. What I find annoying is that if we hadn't bought the land from the builder, they would probably have a housing estate right up to their back fences.

It doesn't take them long to forget that though. The first complaint came when I put up 4 hurdles and a tunnel to put the dogs through some agility training. Apparently it was 'an eyesore' they didn't have to put up with when the builder had the land.

Well tough - now they have chickens - didn't do it deliberate - just got addicted real fast - but no doubt they think I did.

Back to the topic - I had a conversation with the Environmental Health Officer yesterday who is very nice and extremely helpful. The bad news is that the 'restful sleep' issue is frightening, 35 decibels or thereabouts according to the World Health people. That is just a nightmare. I can't get down to that with normal background noise. But that's between 11pm and 7am - the early morning being the problem time.

Fortunately, the crowing seems not to start till 7am now and that is a big factor.

It's very frustrating to think that planes can go overhead at all hours making far more noise for far longer and even the pigeons and the dawn chorus run at 45 decibels sometimes.

#91335 - 08/26/10 12:25 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Although some cocks can crow at nighttime, I have noticed that total darkness can postpone the onset of crowing in the morning. Especially if they can't hear other cocks crow.Last winter I kept 3 cocks in cages in my basement. They were very quiet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn