Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91344 - 08/27/10 12:22 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
I wish I had a basement grin

#91353 - 08/27/10 01:08 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Perhaps you may consider the construction a root-cellar! We have one on our farm. Certainly 3 meters of earth covering (sodden top optional)- would serve both as a decibel reducer and a most wonderful storage area for those marvelous root crops/apples and such, grown in your Victory Garden. Mr. Rooster could 'crow-crow-crow' and also be rewarded with nutritious pieces of food from your 'Back To Basic'- 'Mother-Earth' stylish GSC Root Cellar smile

#91355 - 08/27/10 11:56 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: D. Pollock]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Now that is a pretty cool idea. A nice underground storage area and very little for neighbours and planners to see. Our ground is pretty wet though - not sure if it's practical.

#91365 - 08/28/10 08:07 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Insulation of poultry house, also keeps roosters voices soft and barely audible at 50 feet with windows closed. Windows are open during the daytime except in coldest weather, so sound is heard, but with 16 bantam roosters with their piercing high voices, it is still not offensive to anyone who doesn't appreciate the happy sounds, unless they actually go into the poultry house. Of course, the birds all crow at once when you go into the houses, which is 10'x20'. Nothing like Rock and Roll! (Now I can't handle much of that!) My houses are insulated all around, because of severe winter cold--sound muffling was not important.
Cement block root cellars that are constructed in wet soils, great for food storage, but may still be too damp, gases from fruits might not be healthy even for overnight living for roosters?? But no one would hear a sound! You will find a solution! CJR

#91389 - 08/28/10 05:09 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: CJR]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona

If I had to confine any of my livestock and couldn't let them roam free on the property, I wouldn't have them. My house pets have a doggy door.

The main job of the poultry is to keep the insect population down on the property. They couldn't do that if confined.

Equine and other large stock don't stay healthy when confined.

My opinion, 'cause it's worked for over 30 years.

#91396 - 08/28/10 11:16 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Rogo]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I quite agree with you Rogo. In this instance we are just talking about ovenight confinement though, when they would otherwise be 'in bed' anyway.

So far I am lucky. We have moved the breeding arks to the far side of the 2 acres and the neighbour who was being woken is now getting a good nights sleep. We cover the 2 loudest boys with heavy carpet but once dawn gets to 7am we will stop doing that.

With a bit of luck, by next summer everyone will be used to them and I won't have to cover them - but I can live with that if need be.

#91422 - 08/30/10 09:36 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
M. J. Conley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
I live in Canberra, Australia. They have noise regulations. Maximum of 35 decibels at the fence line 10pm to 8am, and 50 decibels during the day. I heard a story a poultry keeper in Aus had to cope with similar regulations. His cocks exceeded the limit at the fence line, a neighbour complained, the council ordered him to get rid of his cockbirds. The guy was upset, he arranged tohave a sound system set up at the fence line pointing at the compainants residence and played a repetitive recording of crowing, set at 49 decibels, all night. Mind you the story goes he didn't get his birds back, mark

#91423 - 08/30/10 09:57 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: M. J. Conley]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Lol - good story. I bought a sound meter to check and the crazy thing is that normal daybreak bird chorus is louder than 35 decibels.

#91449 - 09/01/10 11:55 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: M. J. Conley]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: M. J. Conley
I live in Canberra, Australia. They have noise regulations. Maximum of 35 decibels at the fence line 10pm to 8am, and 50 decibels during the day. I heard a story a poultry keeper in Aus had to cope with similar regulations. His cocks exceeded the limit at the fence line, a neighbour complained, the council ordered him to get rid of his cockbirds. The guy was upset, he arranged tohave a sound system set up at the fence line pointing at the compainants residence and played a repetitive recording of crowing, set at 49 decibels, all night. Mind you the story goes he didn't get his birds back, mark
Wow... crazy stuff, considering the thought/time/expense that 'kind-folks' go through, to even the score. I suppose that "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale- might be a good therapeutic read for many frustrated 'chicken' people from around the world. grin *did you perhaps mean 34 decibels and not 49- just wondering...because that gentleman would be in violation all through the evening ("all night") at 49 decibels* confused

#92429 - 11/03/10 11:29 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: D. Pollock]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Morning all.

I thought my cockerel crowing problems were solved but here we go again.

I had one cockerel that continued to crow early despite dawn letting later and later, and then he started crowing earlier and earlier. I rehomed him but already he has got the others following suit. My cream choc dotte is now staring the '3 hours before dawn' chorus, followed by a youngster who's just learned to crow then my Serama boy. The Serama is now housed in the greenhouse and I'm bringing the youngster in for the night in the hope of stopping it. It's no fun traipsing across a wet cold field at 4am to check who is crowing and who isn't but I'm certainly not rehoming Geronimo, my cream choc boy.

Anyway, back to the point. I have bought some Green Glue which is supposed to be a very effective sound proofer. You sandwhich it between 2 layers of walling normally.

My first job is an overnight box to see how well it works but I'm worried about ventilation. Last night Claude spent 12 hours in the brooder box covered with 2 duvets in the greenhouse - it didn't work very well - noisy little *&^%$!

So, a new box is going to be made but how much ventilation do I need? Obviously I don't want to go to these lengths to let all the sound back out again. Any comments?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn