Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90760 - 08/01/10 11:27 PM Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
Morning all - anyone know about the way sounds travels etc.?

I have the usual crowing/neighbour problem. I have bought a sound meter and I am quite astonished about the level of noise certain things make.

Background noise level when I think all is quiet is 35-40 decibels. The dawn chorus from wild birds can take it to about 45 with the windows open.

With the exception of one particularly strident cockerel who is probably a little unsure of himself (crows all day long), I have the noise level down to within 2 or 3 decibels max of the noise level coming from wild birds, pigeons etc..

My question relates to what annoys people. It seems to me there is no logical reason why cockerels crowiing (when they are housed with the sound muffled at a similar level to wild birds) should wake or irritate at all.

We are close to East Midland Airport and planes going overhead take the decibel level to 65 sometimes 70 and people happily sleep through that.

Is this a question of what one gets used to or is there something in the pitch or quality that some-one might have difficulty with?

The cockerels (and hens) are housed in small coops and arks over a 2 acre field and the noisy cockerel is on my back patio where he gets special 'noise reduction' treatment. He will go once I have enough eggs from him as he is only on loan.

I must admit the pitch of his crow annoys me when I'm trying to work but then lots of things irritate me when I'm concentrating. crazy

#90764 - 08/02/10 01:37 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I was once told, that if people complain about cocks crowing then YOU are the REAL problem for some reason. My sleeping room window is facing my coop. My 'policy' is that if I can sleep without waking up because of the cocks crowing, then anybody can(I wake up by the 'sound of mouse running'). They can just close the windows for the morning. Otherwise they must live with the sounds here in Denmark, if you can keep the cocks quiet until 7 o'clock or so, provided you live in a zone where it is allowed to keep poultry

#90765 - 08/02/10 01:57 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I agree with you to some extent. In this instance the neighbours have been fine to date.

My fear now is that having had a couple of weeks of a particularly loud and strident cockerel who started at 4.30 before he settled down, we have may have a problem of any crowing at all is going to irritate.

Like you were intimating, it's human nature once something annoys that you begin to watch out for it.

The main culprit no longer crows at 4.30 - 7am this morning - and his day time crowing is getting less frequent. The others are now within legal limits but I fear now that they will be listening for it.

I was wondering if the pitch actually made a difference to many people. I find the strident noise of this one particularly grating no matter how loud/quiet.

I really have 2 issues - 1 is stay legal, the other is to keep the neighbours happy if possible. As you say, once the neighbours have decided they have a problem with you it can lead to other things.

By the way we are talking about 2 acres of agricultural land not a back garden.

#90766 - 08/02/10 02:24 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I think the pitch can make a difference. I think I could be irritated too if I had a Denizli crowing in the backyard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiWoWoM4R0

or Kosova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY40Btzs0RQ

Last year I had a big problem with one rooster(extremely lovely one in all respects). Not only was he crowing all day long(I think he was trying to break world record) but he also developed the habit of uttering this 'danger from above warning call' between the crowings even if there was none or it was just a sparrow flying by. I was close to tears when I had to get rid of him, but I didn't want to annoy the neighbors more than necessary. I just want to add that I don't 'feel guilty' if the neighbors are also producing 'sounds'.(like having a dog, a boat they 'are trying' on the ground, are fond of motorcycles and so on. I'm only 'afraid' of the quiet ones.

#90767 - 08/02/10 03:26 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Oh my that would drive me insane.

I know what you mean about neighbours. The one I expected the trouble to come from has probably already rang the council. She hates me since we bought the field and I politely told her she could carry on running her dog but some-one should be with him. Went down like a lead balloon as they used to just turn him loose at the front door.

The neighbours with problem are usually fine which I why I am keen to do what I can.

My big Marans boy has a deeper crow and doesn't feel the need to crow so often. I have him where a line of trees might deaden the sound, I hope.

HE IS WAY UNDER THE DECIBEL LEVEL OF OVERHEAD PLANES AT ALL HOURS!

Edited by GSC (08/02/10 11:48 PM)

#90799 - 08/02/10 04:52 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona

My dogs only bark when there's a reason. Most of the other dogs around here bark 24/7.

I've always kept more roosters than you're 'supposed' to, but I like 'em. No coop here, they roam free with my hens.

The roosters crow at all hours of the day and night....my answer to the barking dogs! -G- All the roosters in the area talk to each other! This is a livestock area, so no complaints.

I wear ear plugs when I sleep.

#90850 - 08/04/10 07:14 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I don't think you should feel threatened by the dog owners.You can always keep them in check with dog's barking or pooing on your field. Cat owners can be kept in check with cat pooing in your flower beds. The worst are the ones who have nothing to do after the work. No animals, no gardening interest, and so on. Those are the ones who can plague you just out of boredom.

#90861 - 08/04/10 01:54 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Where I'm at is a short term rental until the end of the year - unless I break the lease!

Too many city folks mixed in with the livestock folks. And these city folks are inconsiderate bas--rds.

I'm not used to living close to neighbors, but this was a 'have to' at the time. One acre is not large enough!! Hopefully, with my next move, life will go back to normal.

#90878 - 08/04/10 11:40 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Rogo]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Lol Rogo - tell me about it. We have 2 acres and yes - it is not enough. What I find annoying is that if we hadn't bought the land from the builder, they would probably have a housing estate right up to their back fences.

It doesn't take them long to forget that though. The first complaint came when I put up 4 hurdles and a tunnel to put the dogs through some agility training. Apparently it was 'an eyesore' they didn't have to put up with when the builder had the land.

Well tough - now they have chickens - didn't do it deliberate - just got addicted real fast - but no doubt they think I did.

Back to the topic - I had a conversation with the Environmental Health Officer yesterday who is very nice and extremely helpful. The bad news is that the 'restful sleep' issue is frightening, 35 decibels or thereabouts according to the World Health people. That is just a nightmare. I can't get down to that with normal background noise. But that's between 11pm and 7am - the early morning being the problem time.

Fortunately, the crowing seems not to start till 7am now and that is a big factor.

It's very frustrating to think that planes can go overhead at all hours making far more noise for far longer and even the pigeons and the dawn chorus run at 45 decibels sometimes.

#91335 - 08/26/10 12:25 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Although some cocks can crow at nighttime, I have noticed that total darkness can postpone the onset of crowing in the morning. Especially if they can't hear other cocks crow.Last winter I kept 3 cocks in cages in my basement. They were very quiet.

#91344 - 08/27/10 12:22 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I wish I had a basement grin

#91353 - 08/27/10 01:08 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Perhaps you may consider the construction a root-cellar! We have one on our farm. Certainly 3 meters of earth covering (sodden top optional)- would serve both as a decibel reducer and a most wonderful storage area for those marvelous root crops/apples and such, grown in your Victory Garden. Mr. Rooster could 'crow-crow-crow' and also be rewarded with nutritious pieces of food from your 'Back To Basic'- 'Mother-Earth' stylish GSC Root Cellar smile

#91355 - 08/27/10 11:56 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: D. Pollock]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Now that is a pretty cool idea. A nice underground storage area and very little for neighbours and planners to see. Our ground is pretty wet though - not sure if it's practical.

#91365 - 08/28/10 08:07 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Insulation of poultry house, also keeps roosters voices soft and barely audible at 50 feet with windows closed. Windows are open during the daytime except in coldest weather, so sound is heard, but with 16 bantam roosters with their piercing high voices, it is still not offensive to anyone who doesn't appreciate the happy sounds, unless they actually go into the poultry house. Of course, the birds all crow at once when you go into the houses, which is 10'x20'. Nothing like Rock and Roll! (Now I can't handle much of that!) My houses are insulated all around, because of severe winter cold--sound muffling was not important.
Cement block root cellars that are constructed in wet soils, great for food storage, but may still be too damp, gases from fruits might not be healthy even for overnight living for roosters?? But no one would hear a sound! You will find a solution! CJR

#91389 - 08/28/10 05:09 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: CJR]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

If I had to confine any of my livestock and couldn't let them roam free on the property, I wouldn't have them. My house pets have a doggy door.

The main job of the poultry is to keep the insect population down on the property. They couldn't do that if confined.

Equine and other large stock don't stay healthy when confined.

My opinion, 'cause it's worked for over 30 years.

#91396 - 08/28/10 11:16 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Rogo]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I quite agree with you Rogo. In this instance we are just talking about ovenight confinement though, when they would otherwise be 'in bed' anyway.

So far I am lucky. We have moved the breeding arks to the far side of the 2 acres and the neighbour who was being woken is now getting a good nights sleep. We cover the 2 loudest boys with heavy carpet but once dawn gets to 7am we will stop doing that.

With a bit of luck, by next summer everyone will be used to them and I won't have to cover them - but I can live with that if need be.

#91422 - 08/30/10 09:36 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
M. J. Conley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
I live in Canberra, Australia. They have noise regulations. Maximum of 35 decibels at the fence line 10pm to 8am, and 50 decibels during the day. I heard a story a poultry keeper in Aus had to cope with similar regulations. His cocks exceeded the limit at the fence line, a neighbour complained, the council ordered him to get rid of his cockbirds. The guy was upset, he arranged tohave a sound system set up at the fence line pointing at the compainants residence and played a repetitive recording of crowing, set at 49 decibels, all night. Mind you the story goes he didn't get his birds back, mark

#91423 - 08/30/10 09:57 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: M. J. Conley]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Lol - good story. I bought a sound meter to check and the crazy thing is that normal daybreak bird chorus is louder than 35 decibels.

#91449 - 09/01/10 11:55 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: M. J. Conley]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: M. J. Conley
I live in Canberra, Australia. They have noise regulations. Maximum of 35 decibels at the fence line 10pm to 8am, and 50 decibels during the day. I heard a story a poultry keeper in Aus had to cope with similar regulations. His cocks exceeded the limit at the fence line, a neighbour complained, the council ordered him to get rid of his cockbirds. The guy was upset, he arranged tohave a sound system set up at the fence line pointing at the compainants residence and played a repetitive recording of crowing, set at 49 decibels, all night. Mind you the story goes he didn't get his birds back, mark
Wow... crazy stuff, considering the thought/time/expense that 'kind-folks' go through, to even the score. I suppose that "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale- might be a good therapeutic read for many frustrated 'chicken' people from around the world. grin *did you perhaps mean 34 decibels and not 49- just wondering...because that gentleman would be in violation all through the evening ("all night") at 49 decibels* confused

#92429 - 11/03/10 11:29 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: D. Pollock]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Morning all.

I thought my cockerel crowing problems were solved but here we go again.

I had one cockerel that continued to crow early despite dawn letting later and later, and then he started crowing earlier and earlier. I rehomed him but already he has got the others following suit. My cream choc dotte is now staring the '3 hours before dawn' chorus, followed by a youngster who's just learned to crow then my Serama boy. The Serama is now housed in the greenhouse and I'm bringing the youngster in for the night in the hope of stopping it. It's no fun traipsing across a wet cold field at 4am to check who is crowing and who isn't but I'm certainly not rehoming Geronimo, my cream choc boy.

Anyway, back to the point. I have bought some Green Glue which is supposed to be a very effective sound proofer. You sandwhich it between 2 layers of walling normally.

My first job is an overnight box to see how well it works but I'm worried about ventilation. Last night Claude spent 12 hours in the brooder box covered with 2 duvets in the greenhouse - it didn't work very well - noisy little *&^%$!

So, a new box is going to be made but how much ventilation do I need? Obviously I don't want to go to these lengths to let all the sound back out again. Any comments?

#92451 - 11/06/10 07:53 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I used to have ‘isolation chambers’ for the cocks to overnight in. I insulated them for sound by covering the outside surface of the enclosure with Styrofoam; I would then build a second wall and roof over this. This outer shell did not touch the inner shell (about two inches of empty space between). This air sandwich was a major sound dampener, as air is a poor conductor of sound; physical contact between the components of the enclosure would act as a conduit/amplifier of whatever sound escapes from whatever insulation is used. Solid-dead air-solid worked well.

For the past ten years I have worked to try to modify the crowing of cocks through selection, being curious to see how a secondary sex trait would respond to selection. Some time back I abandoned all aesthetic considerations and focused only on fertility and crowing.

After a disaster two years ago where 90% of my stock either died or exhibited extreme depression of fertility, I managed to bring the project forward with just one cock and three hens. I have now seven cocks in the back garden, all of which have a low, croaking two-note crow that is hardly noticeable at ten feet, and what is heard does not sound like a chicken to someone not seeing the cock crowing.

I was worried at first that a cock that would not crow would be a poor breeder, but my birds flap their wings, stand erect and go through the full motions of crowing, but only producing a few low croaks. The roosters are vigorous breeders (perhaps in part because of their pantomime?), and this season will see a huge crossing of daughters back to sires – the trait does not yet occur regularly in the offspring, so I must hatch many chicks to select from. I hope to continue such a pattern of crossing to see how crowing is passed to offspring. I hope to ‘set’ this trait in time. (My birds are bantams.)

Temperament as well as singing voice seem to be involved, as some cocks just crow less often – but they pass this capacity to their offspring in one form or another. It has been a matter of observing pitch of voice, number of notes in a call, and certain disposition of temper. In the last, the hen appears to be important in influencing this in her progeny. Whiney hens, those that cackle when they lay, etc. have on the whole failed to produce quiet sons when paired with a quiet cock.

My birds are fairly ugly and incongruous to look at, but quieter than any fowl I have encountered. Entirely a hobbyist’s effort, just a pastime, but an engrossing one.

#92454 - 11/06/10 09:58 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Hahnsberg]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

What a fascinating posting! I have recently asked a question in the genetic forum about heredity of crowing. I have crossed some birds into my flock, and I've observed that frequency of crowings in the offspring has exploded(which is not good for me as I have a lot of neighbors)

#92455 - 11/06/10 10:16 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

That is so so interesting. I do wish I was close enough to buy some eggs or stock from you.

It's kind of like one of those amazing breakthroughs that slips by un-noticed. It should be ground-breaking news on all poultry forums.

#92462 - 11/06/10 06:41 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I don’t know if I’d call it a breakthrough. I was lucky enough to come upon a quiet-ish cock years ago, and the idea struck me. I nearly derailed the process by trying to select for aspects of phenotype at the same time, and the fertility and vigor suffered.

Now, my sole focus is the muted crow. Most of the cocks are penned with their daughters, so I am anxious for Spring. My goal is to see the majority of offspring from these birds being at least as quiet as their sires.

#94443 - 02/10/11 01:04 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Hahnsberg]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Could You or Michael TX make a Video about Your cocks while they are crowing?

Would You think, thats a crowing, if You couldn't see it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHDkLuNIhbU&feature=related

#94444 - 02/10/11 01:31 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Redcap]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

#97660 - 07/13/11 08:03 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I grew up in Brooklyn, just a short drive to Kennedy airport and in the flightpath. But I was never woken up by plane noise.
As an adult, I've raised chickens for about 14 years now and I've had a few roosters but they were just too noisy to keep. And if they would crow just once in the morning, fine, but to crow over and over again was too annoying.
Also, in the 3 homes I've lived in, our neighbors weren't too far away. I did not want to disturb them. I totally disagree with Wieslas's post above that if he can sleep through roosters crowing, everyone else should, too. That's rather selfish.

#103311 - 04/10/12 06:37 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
NolanFarms Offline
New Egg

Loc: Idaho, USA 83801
dont forget that level of restful sleep is taken from their home. Not in your home. That might help you?
We love our Poulty Palace, Austerlorps, Jersey Giants, Black Copper Marans, Speckled Cochin Banties, Muscovy Ducks, Ring Neck Pheasants, Welsh Pembroke Corgies, Quarter Horses and Paints, and the wilderness of Northern Idaho oh and we homeschool too. =-)

#103312 - 04/10/12 06:39 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: Wieslaw]
NolanFarms Offline
New Egg

Loc: Idaho, USA 83801
WOW those two can sure crow! googly Moogly...love my birds, but if mine did that...they would have to move far far away LOL
We love our Poulty Palace, Austerlorps, Jersey Giants, Black Copper Marans, Speckled Cochin Banties, Muscovy Ducks, Ring Neck Pheasants, Welsh Pembroke Corgies, Quarter Horses and Paints, and the wilderness of Northern Idaho oh and we homeschool too. =-)

#103353 - 04/12/12 11:27 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Sunni Ten]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Originally Posted By: Sunni Ten
I totally disagree with Wieslas's post above that if he can sleep through roosters crowing, everyone else should, too. That's rather selfish.

Perhaps you have misunderstood what I wrote or I worded it not clearly enough. I have the lightest sleep in the world , a mouse running on the floor can wake me up. And my coop is just 15 meters from MY BEDROOM window. If the roosters do not wake ME up, then I know that any potential complains would be just pure HYSTERIA. It has nothing to do with selfishness . Blackbirds sing all night long here and they are just as loud or louder then the roosters. But nobody call the police to make them quiet. Not to mention wood pigeons which start with the first ray of light just behind peoples windows.

#103415 - 04/18/12 10:37 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I have varying numbers of roosters and there are times they get to be too much. Seems the younger ones are always the noisiest, like they have something to prove. I have also noticed that as my roosters get older, they crow less until it takes something pretty serious to set them off. But it takes about 4 years before I notice a decrease in frequency of crowing. I have noticed this in my Australorp roos and my Ameraucana.

I think it's not the volume of a rooster, but the shrill sound, and the unexpected bluntness of it. With a plane moving overhead, you become aware of the sound gradually, when it is at a distance. Your brain adjusts to the fact that it is going to get louder, pass overhead, then the noise will gradually and predictably fade until you don't hear it anymore. It might be loud but it comes slowly, with warning and passes along in a predictable way.

That is not how it goes with roosters. The noise is abrupt and erupts without warning, at any time, and you have no idea if one crow is all it will be, or will there be a volley of 12 in a row? And just as you think he's done and you snuggle into the pillow, oops, no, he's at it again! There is no warning, no warm- up, no predictable pattern of when it starts or ends. It's like having cold water thrown in your face. I find the aural assault to be very jarring and it sets my nerves on edge.

My daughter drives a large, loud dirt bike on the trails all around here, but you hear her bike approach, it zooms by and the noise fades as she moves away. Yet neighbours complain, the same neighbours who run their leaf blowers and chainsaws for hours, and that noise doesn't come and go in a few seconds, it goes on and on and on! (what is it with men revving their chainsaws like they were on dirtbikes? Get a dirtbike and get over it!)

So I think it's the blunt trauma of a rooster, sudden and abrupt, that is more offensive than just the decible factor.

Edited by Uno (04/18/12 10:39 PM)

#103450 - 04/21/12 04:07 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Uno]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Uno
(what is it with men revving their chainsaws like they were on dirtbikes? Get a dirtbike and get over it!)

It's called testosterone Uno. Nice to see you back. I'll email you an update in a few days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn