Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9130 - 03/16/07 02:11 PM to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
hi cjr--this posting was so long ago i'm not sure you'll see it in its original state; you say, re your droppings boards:Design depends upon how many birds will be roosting and size of your coop. I have pictures of mine, for my breeding pens. I place metal trays on some of the shelves (14 pens) with wire, then roost above that. Others for 2-4 bantams, have the roost shelf, shavings scattered over, then a Grape box from the Grocery store, with roost board over it. It catches all the droppings and, lined with plastic and shavings, just gets dumped on the compost every month or so. . . . .

my question: would you be able to put pictures here? i'd like to copy what you've done, if that's okay w/ you. please/ thanks. stay well--luisa

#9131 - 03/31/07 09:18 PM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Masufa Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oregon
luisa fels , I would like to see your pictures if you can post them.

#9132 - 04/01/07 02:35 AM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I too am interested in how droppings boards look. I have never used them, nor does anyone else I know and most of what I've read, presupposes the reader has that information already. It would be interesting therefore to actually see how they are designed. smile

#9133 - 04/01/07 11:51 AM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
A droppings board is simply a wide board built below a roost to catch all the night time poop, pure poop, and ready to compost when cleaned or removed. Usually, the design will include a removeable roost sort of "rack" with poultry wire beneath, so the birds cannot walk under the roosts and be in contact with the poop. (I think ladder type roosts are very poor design, if set up like a ladder, floor and up--poop just falls to the floor where the birds spend much time!) Droppings boards need to be cleaned more often than the floor litter, and is the only place there will be source of a stinky henhouse, if not cleaned regularly and if you keep a DRY house.

My Father built a wonderful chicken house in 1929, and to keep up the mortgage payments, we had a commercial egg business, to be a second job during the great Depression. The design would still be hard to improve, for a small egg-operation (600 hens). I was small, but loved helping with the chickens, and by age 10, I could reliably take care of things, if my parents were called away. Exception was, although I gathered eggs and kept the charts, I did not pack eggs, which was an evening job, eggs candled, weighed, packaged in egg carton, which my Father took to regular customers in the city, where he worked, and delivered some daily. Sold the car during the depression years, and had Streetcar service- 30 minutes to the city. Every morning, it was a 10 minute walk to the Interurban streetcar stop with two marketbags of eggs on their way to town. We all liked the chickens, and I was innoculated with the project! My Dad checked the house in the morning before leaving for work at 7am, and again when he returned 6pm. By 1935, things were much better--we got our first refrigerator and a new car (Plymouth). And the chickens left for the last time (Chinese restaurants took the hens, each time a new flock was purchased ) in,I think, 1941.

Because I have bantams and keep them in breeding pens of trios, or 4somes, my design has similar basics, just miniature, compared to the old chicken house. Sent lfels a picture. Have taken no pictures with design in mind, but I will see I can find several--and you can go from there! CJR

#9134 - 04/01/07 02:00 PM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for sharing that CJR, I can just visualize the whole set-up with you collecting the eggs! And we think today's kids have too many responsibilities! :rolleyes:

#9135 - 04/03/07 04:51 AM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Simon V. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
Wish I could get my orps to poop on a poop board - don't know how they do it but they always manage to poop on the roost itself resulting in a large pile on the roost each morning *shrugs*

#9136 - 04/03/07 05:29 AM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
NW Chix Offline
Chicken

Loc: Washington
I came into an older coop set-up, which included a dropping board. This one slants outward from the wall, and does manage to catch most of the poop, provided the chickens face the right way at night. smile I would prefer something flat that could be lined and more easily cleaned, but it does keep a large portion of the poop off the floor of the coop. I just use a car snow-scraper to remove the droppings as needed.

#9137 - 04/04/07 11:26 AM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
here's what cjr sent about dropping boards--very helpful. the pictures are on the site at the bottom--i hope--although i'm of the same generation as you, cjr, i'm not as computer literate . . . .

luisa, Here is a picture of some birds on the shelf that has a galvanized metal tray, then a grape box from the grocery store, with 1x2s across for roosts. The box is lined with plastic cut from the shavings bags, and as a few shavings in the bottom to dump clean, whenever necessary. This poultry house has a 7 foot ceiling, but I lowered the ceiling for the next house I built, so there is just a little over a foot above the roosts--warm in winter nearest the ceiling. Windows are low, so winter sun can come in, but summer sun cannot--Another shelf below has the nest boxes--cardboard boxes, closed up, with a hole in the side, lined with straw, and the hens love to climb in--dark. When they set, I give them the eggs I want to hatch, and dump the box after hatch and start with a fresh one! I work everything out to make things comfortable for the bantams and easy for me! CJR

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/cjrdutch2/th_IMG_0055.jpg (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/cjrdutch2/IMG_0055.jpg)

#9138 - 04/04/07 05:58 PM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Here's another pen with a trio (one hen in nest box) Both nest shelf and roost shelf are above the window. I do not have enough trays for all 11 pens. But there isn't much spillover, and easyu to empty the boxes with droppings.
Each pen has a window beneath==LOW, for winter sun IN and summer sun OUT. Windows have hardward cloth screening, and windows open Out, actually are hinged to hook open ...up, and are left open warm summer days, even some nights. CJR

#9139 - 04/04/07 10:55 PM Re: to cjr--re droppings board pictures
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
So let me get this right. Do they roost on that strange looking contraption to the right of the rooster's head, or on the actual shelf above and behind the birds? Or on the perch they are standing on. Perhaps because I have never seen a droppings board I'm uncertain of what I should be looking for. Can't see how it could work without them standing in their poo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn