Topic Options
#9147 - 07/16/02 09:28 PM Predator Control, Heidi, & Contacting others
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Just before the board was taken down, I had posted questions re: predator control and received some excellent suggestions. I wanted to be able to thank every one who responded especially Heidi who recommended the electric net fencing. I did indeed find an American supplier, purchased the product and am eagerly awaiting the proper time in my coop construction to erect the fence. I'm almost there! I will share my experiences with the fencing on this message board if anyone else is interested.
Additionally, another member had started a message board which I enjoyed as it provided a forum for members to get to know each other a little better. I hope he/she begins it again.
Finally, I'd like to express my appreciation both to those who sponsor & maintain this site as well as the knowledgeable members. Thus far, I have found the posts to be extremely helpful, far from frivolous, and always couched in kind terms. Thank you all.

#9148 - 07/17/02 05:06 AM Re: Predator Control, Heidi, & Contacting others
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi-

I am just starting out also and am almost done with my coop. Since it is my first building project - it is taking me forever!

I also bought some electric net fencing with a battery. I will put it up after I get the coop finished since the 2 month old chicks are still staying in the house at night and they are getting pretty big. My biggest concern is where to drive in the grounding rod to make it easiest for me to reconfigure the fence. And how am I going to get the thing driven 6 feet into the ground!

I would like to hear how easily your fence goes up and how you decide to configure it. Are you thinking you will be moving it at all or will you keep it in one place?

KariS

#9149 - 07/17/02 11:28 PM Re: Predator Control, Heidi, & Contacting others
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Hi Kris:
For right now, I'll keep the fence in one place but what's important to me is to try to figure out how to provide access in other spots along the fence rather than just at the ends. Thus far the solutions have been too complicated to make it worth it so I'm going to wait until I have it up and then try to work something out. I will let you know if I come up with anything. Best regards.

#9150 - 07/22/02 05:25 AM Re: Predator Control, Heidi, & Contacting others
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kris,
I am a cable repair tech and driving those post in is so much easier ir you have a t post fence driver. all it it is, is a section of pipe with one end welded shut and handles welded on it. If you know anyone with t post fencing you might be able to borrow their driver or buy one for around 20 buck. After you get the ground rod in so far that you ned a hammer a sledge will work best as it is heavy and will do most of the work for you. wink

#9151 - 07/22/02 01:43 PM Re: Predator Control, Heidi, & Contacting others
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did actually get the fence in this past weekend. Although I was dreading getting the grounding rod in - that was actually one of the easier things to do. It was harder to figure out where to put the energizer since it was an indoor one. Tried it in the barn but decided it was too far from where I wanted the fence. So I had a brain storm and went and bought some rubbermaid plastic storage boxes just slightly bigger than the energizer and battery. Attached those to a wooden fence post with holes at the bottom for both drainage (in case any water happens to seep in) and for the wiring.

Had the most frustration attaching the ground wire to the energizer - just one of those things where I didn't leave enought room for my hands to fit in. But finally managed it and everything works great! I figured the plastic boxes would be fine since I only plan to use the fence during spring/summer/fall. I am going to make a winter coop/run inside the barn. I think that will be a heck of a lot easier than dealing with the snow in Vermont. I won't have to go outside (since the barn is attached to the house) and it should give that much more insulation.

I wish I had someway to cut off the power other than undoing the battery terminal. It isn't terrible - but it would be a lot easier to have a switch. I worry about wearing out the battery wires after a while.

I am pretty proud of myself though - I never built anything before and have now completed a moveable pen and coop, and have set up the electric fence. My mother said that since the coop is so nice I could make them to sell - but considering the amount of time I put into it I would have to ask for $1000.00 in order to get any kind of return. smile

Oh and by the way my name is Kari - but I was signing my posts with an "S" at the end which is the first letter of my last name - in order to distinguich myself from the other Kari on the list) laugh

KariS

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn