Topic Options
#91800 - 09/27/10 10:47 PM Allergic Reaction to Chickens
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
Guys I really need your help with this.

I know I have a mild reaction to feathers and cats amongst numerous others, all mild, which I largely don't worry about, for example I have had a cat for years, no problem. Same with Chickens no obvious immediate reaction to handling them.

HOWEVER - I have just realised the cause of two quite bad reactions I had over the last couple of months when it started again yesterday.

It's somehow connected with when I get pecked or scratched and it breaks the skin, or the skin is already cut/scratched and I handle the chooks - I guess.

The first time was after a major op on my tummy and it took 3-4 weeks to clear it. I don't recall actually being pecked or scratched with that but of course I had stiches healing.

The second a cockerel pecked me on the boob (don't laugh) and it flared up there, on my arm and on my face/ear. It took me a while to realise that I slept with my arms folded and I often rub behind my ear when I'm thinking so it could be direct transfer.

My GP put it down to a fungal infection and I'm unsure as to whether the creams work or it just runs it's course.

I finally twigged after I got half a dozen very clear long scratches from a cock and they are now setting up a reaction which is itching like crazy. It was properly disinfected/kept clean etc.

I would like your thoughts as to whether this is simply an allergic reaction or whether I could actually be picking something up - fungal or otherwise.

It is very wet here at the moment so fungal is possible although Miconazole Nitrate doesn't seem to help much.

I am not looking forward to 2 or 3 weeks more itching. mad

#91806 - 09/28/10 04:00 PM Re: Allergic Reaction to Chickens [Re: GSC]
Sarah's Coop Offline
Chick

Loc: Texas
Can't say if it is an alergic reaction or not, however if it is an allergic reaction I know of a solution. Almost two months ago I had lazer allergy treatments and now have no allergies to anything. It is a simple procedure of a computer reading your biorhythms and passing the information on to the lazer (non-heat) which is passed over your acupuncture points all over your body twelve times in six weeks. The doctor said is was reprogramming my nervous system. No side effects, no drugs, no further treatment. Information is available on the internet. Hope this is helpful.

#91809 - 09/28/10 08:02 PM Re: Allergic Reaction to Chickens [Re: Sarah's Coop]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Many thanks for that. I will enquire about laser treatment. It would be good to get rid of the allergies.

I guess since no-one has suggested anything transmissable from birds to humans that's not likely.

GP has prescribed antibiotics.

#91812 - 09/28/10 10:26 PM Re: Allergic Reaction to Chickens [Re: GSC]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
There is a good anti itch creme called Clobetasol. It's prescription here in the US. Ask your dr. if it would be appropriate. I have taken to wearing my beekeeping gloves when I need to handle a bird. They protect hands and arms. I would suspect that talons are very dirty since the chooks are walking around in poo frequently! If I get scratched I wash it off with soap and water ASAP. It does sound like you are allergic. I have to take allergy drugs whenever I get around my horses or I will be sneezing for days. I too, will look into the laser allergy treatment. I hope you recover soon.

#91814 - 09/28/10 11:08 PM Re: Allergic Reaction to Chickens [Re: Maria Ricardo]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Thanks Maria - will check it out.

#91850 - 09/30/10 06:59 PM Re: Allergic Reaction to Chickens [Re: GSC]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I found my answer - finally!

I'm allergic to grass - on open or fresh wounds - BIG TIME!

I had to crawl into the bottom on an ark yesterday to put some Serama to bed. Because of their size I had to lie flat and reach in, so my inner arms from elbow to hand were flat on the grass. An hour later they were bright red and itching like mad as was everywhere on my body where there was a cut, scratch or scar. The scar from a recent tummy op was bright rad.

I used cortizone cream on my arms and a few hours later everything is back to normal.

I knew I had a mild reaction to grass but clearly it's not so mild anymore. mad

#91854 - 10/01/10 12:28 AM Re: Allergic Reaction to Chickens [Re: GSC]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I find that one of the worst grasses for me is Timothy. It has fine hairs and clouds of fine irritating pollen, so, not only do my exposed areas come out in welts, but it triggers a bad case of hay fever too.

Edited by Foehn (10/01/10 12:29 AM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2