Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91672 - 09/16/10 09:28 AM Discolored egg white (albumin)
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
A customer reports that after he removed the top of the shell of soft-cooked one of our Marans' eggs that was resting in an egg cup, he was shocked to find the egg white was beige-colored. Concerned that the egg might be bad, he threw it out. He asked me about it, but I have never heard such a thing. The eggs are about a week old and have been properly refrigerated. He has eaten other eggs of ours from the same egg cup with no problem. As far as I know he was cooking using a non-reactive pan to cook the egg.

Any guesses what might be the cause? A sign of an unhealthy egg? A phenomenon associated with Marans' eggs? Something related to the cooking process?

#91796 - 09/27/10 02:42 PM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: J. Henderson]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Looks as if everyone is as mystified as you are. I hope you didn't get any more reports of discoloured egg whites

#91846 - 09/30/10 11:55 AM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: Foehn]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I have recently read, that of all the breeds , Marans has the biggest % of eggs with meat and blood spots. Maybe some larger amount of blood was the reason for discolouration?(Just a guess).
I recall I have also seen such a phenomenon.

#92070 - 10/12/10 10:03 AM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: Wieslaw]
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
No further reports, but lost one customer. Since there are no other theories, the meat spot explanation is sounding pretty good.

#92075 - 10/12/10 04:25 PM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: J. Henderson]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Keep forgetting that Marans eggs are too dark for easy candling. Otherwise, you would have candled all eggs for sale, and never have packed that egg for your customer--too bad, as it is harmless, it would have been so easy, to just dump that egg, cook another, but sadly, people just don't know about Store OR fresh eggs! (Or the major Nationwide brands of chicken at the Super Market--or they would NEVER eat the chicken,) but would just ask for a replacement egg. Their loss, also! Good luck, CJR

#92134 - 10/16/10 08:56 AM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: CJR]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I don't know about meat spots. My birds make lots of them and they just show up as a speck in the hard cooked white. They do no discolour the whole white.

I know certain foods, like lots of beets, can affect the interior egg colour. Maybe they ate something weird that changed the egg colour. Or perhaps some of that extra dark pigmet on the outside of the shell leached through into the interior when boiling. SOme shells are more pourous than others. If you take a scratchy pad and scrub the outside of a Maran's egg, does the colour scrub off? If yes, then there could have been a pigment transfer....under very specific conditions. OR...some of that extra dark pigment just got mixed into the inside of the egg.

But a blood spot still stays as a spot when you cook it and does not make all the white an off colour. I am sorry you lost a customer. His loss.

Edited by Uno (10/16/10 08:57 AM)

#92147 - 10/17/10 06:57 AM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: Uno]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
I have noticed that all of my Marans also have a higher incidence of blood/meat spots, too. Perhaps it has something to do with the difference in their oviduct compared to other breeds. In any case, as Uno points out, those spots stay spots and will not discolor the white. I hard-boil my eggs and have never noticed any pigment leaching in. I would think there could have been something just a bit off on that egg. It's a shame they won't buy from you any more but I would look at it as a blessing. That attitude is not what you are looking for when dealing with eggs not purchased from a store. There are so many harmless variations you can get in fresh eggs you really don't want someone overly paranoid. (IMO)I once had a person stop getting eggs from me (for free) because they boiled them and the yolks came out green!

#93644 - 12/30/10 10:21 PM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: Richard in MA]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I was reading Gail Damerow's Guide to Raising Chickens today and saw this: "A yellowish or greenish hue to the albumen of a fresh egg indicates the presence of the B vitamin riboflavin." Maybe that is the reason of the discolored white?

#94236 - 01/30/11 01:38 PM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Today I saw biege in a soft boiled egg. It was on the white right where I cut it to open it. I used a knife that I usually don't use to open eggs, a big, iron, butchering knife. I have noticed that sometimes when I use that knife on fruits or veggies that it leaves a discolored mark on the cut surface. Maybe that is the source of your customer's complaint? My egg was about 2 weeks old, unrefrigerated, non Maran.

#94239 - 01/30/11 07:52 PM Re: Discolored egg white (albumin) [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Good thought. I on the other hand, boiled up a pot full of surplus eggs to feed back to the hens and got a nasty surprise when I went to crack one open before mashing. It was well on the way to being rotten and I have no idea how this could be, as the eggs are collected every day so I generally know about how old they are. Somehow this one got overlooked. Not only discoloured, but a very "interesting" sick smell too. Glad I wasn't using it for eating or cooking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn