Blackdotte2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
Reeder give the genotype of Redquill as e+/e+ s+/s+ Ar+/Ar+ Pg/Pg Db/Db

#92276 - 10/24/10 03:40 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: D. Pollock]
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

the oegs are not mine but belong to a friend who likes to remain anon but have them seen through my photos. i like photographing them as i think they look magnificent and it is a pleasure taking photos of healthy well feathered birds.

blackdotte i need to see the chickens, some birchin chickens can be very brown especially around the neck and head. it would not surprise me either way if the gold quills were either birchin or e+ but it would if they were eb as i do not see any eb game chickens but the look alike when they are wheaten split e+. i do not proffess to be any expert on game fowl (except maybe indian game) but find them fascinating with lots of unknowns.

#92277 - 10/24/10 04:08 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: RuffEnuff]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I think the chick in front may be ER with Db. In my opinion the secrecy can be ridiculous and annoying, especially in a situation when I bought eggs from somebody and can't 'squeeze out' from the seller, what was actually going on in the breeding pen. One of the reasons may be , that the person doesn't know anything about genetics and is kind of 'ashamed' of being unable to explain unexpected results.

#92278 - 10/24/10 04:30 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: Wieslaw]
Poultch Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Wieslaw
I think the chick in front may be ER with Db.

this assessment gets my vote too. It would be interesting to see if the wheaton chick in behind has a small black strip on the back of its head/neck

I have birchen split wheatons that look very similiar to the hen, they as Henk has alluded to are undermelanised, but mine carry columbian restriction in the form of Co. Wheaton doesn't make a very good "recesive" it still can be seen if split with E or ER. However, I haven't the clear neck in males as in the rooster pictured (as Co is the restrictor), but would Db clear his neck if he were ER/eWh?

#92283 - 10/25/10 11:17 AM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: Poultch]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
crazy smile

Edited by D. Pollock (10/27/10 08:05 AM)

#92286 - 10/25/10 02:11 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: D. Pollock]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Dave,I don't ask whether they are Er with Db either, because I know,that an average seller doesn't know such things.I don't ask the type of questions you ask , because I can see myself what I need to see. I stopped buying live birds since I bought a broody with ILT several years ago. By some miracle my stock was not infected, but I have learned my lesson well. So I only buy eggs. In this particular case to which I'm referring , I bought some eggs from abroad by mail. I gave permission for the seller to put in some crosses, as long as he writes on the eggs what it is. One of the crosses turned out to be something that was not possible from the discription. So I had to push really hard for an answer, which I eventually succeded to get(it turned out he was not aware how gold and silver are inherited. I had to teach him basics in emails). He also sent me eggs of blue red leghorns. I imagined that it would be something like a wild type with Bl. But the pullet doesn't look like that. So I asked him whether reds or buffs were involved at some point. I felt I was entitled to get such an answer, but he didn't write back to me for some reason. I can't really see any reason why I should feel 'ashamed'

#92287 - 10/25/10 03:18 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: Wieslaw]
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

respiratory diseases pass very well through eggs MG is one of them and i never breed from a gurrgly hen (i kill it) or a gurggly rooster as it is passsed through the sperm too.

on the side of breeding birds of pedigree lines i am happy to tolerate ignorance of genetics however i have no faith in the human race to be truthful or intelligent enough to understand reproduction. i have read some of herbert atkinsons stuff and am horrified to learn many breeders still believe in outdated, scientifically proven false ideas. i also do not like birds no matter how pure who have been polluted with vaccines and antibiotics. i believe there are breeders around who can be trusted but learning to trust a person is a slow process and in the game bird world that is very patriarchal.

Edited by RuffEnuff (10/25/10 03:21 PM)

#92289 - 10/25/10 04:54 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: RuffEnuff]
D. Pollock Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: USA
Really quite amazing...truly amazing! crazy

Edited by D. Pollock (10/27/10 08:01 AM)

#92293 - 10/25/10 07:34 PM Re: is it Pg in these mealy greys? [Re: D. Pollock]
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

is that tounge in cheek D.pollock? LOL i can't work the smily faces on here and the site times out faster tha i can think or add links.

Edited by RuffEnuff (10/25/10 07:34 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69