Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92985 - 12/02/10 03:29 PM Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA?
Kimera Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
With the possible exception of Norwegian jaerhons, why are there no autosexing breeds of chickens in the USA? Surely there is a need for autosexing breeds. People have to get tired of buying sex-linked chicks at the feed store each year.

#92996 - 12/03/10 01:15 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: Kimera]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
You're right, I had never heard of autosexing breeds until my interest was sparked by your post.

#92997 - 12/03/10 02:48 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Hen-Gen Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Is that right?
Over here the only autosexing breed that is common is the Cream Legbar. All the other are rarely seen though some folk do persist with Welbars, Wybars and a new one, Silbars.
Myself I keep silver based breeds but acquire a gold based cockerel to produce sexable pullets for sale.

#92998 - 12/03/10 03:25 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: Hen-Gen]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I've read that pure Barred Plymouth Rocks are very close to autosexing(the difference in light head spot). Some lines of light brown Leghorns are also close to autosexing.

#92999 - 12/03/10 04:22 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: Wieslaw]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I have a barred Rock rooster. If I cross him with my other breeds will I be able to tell gender at birth by the head spot?

#93002 - 12/03/10 05:05 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
Wieslaw,Do you have chick pictures of the Brown Leghorns that are close to auto sexing.I am wondering what is different,eyes,back stripes?Do you think it is something that could be bred up ?

#93004 - 12/03/10 11:15 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: D. Honour]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
25 years ago, Jack Fugate, early importer of Dutch Bantams to the U.S. wrote that he could distinguish sexes of Light Brown (Patrijs, Gold Partridge) Dutch chicks, at hatch, by their "wild" pattern, head markings. Never worked for me or anyone else that I know of.
I look for larger feet of cockerel chicks, (noticeble only for a few days and not totally reliable), comb development, (noticeable at 2-3 weeks and not reliable), but at 5-6 weeks, red on the wing bow of cockerel chicks is true evidence--pullet chicks NEVER have red feathers on the wings, so I do not know sexes at hatch, but DO by 6 weeks with wing plumage. Same for Blue Light Brown, Cream Light Brown, Blue Cream Light Brown.
Hackle pattern is also distinguishing by about 6 weeks. Long, straight, striping of hackle pattern, is on the cockerels. Pullets have lighter, "tree branch" markings on hackle. (Have pictures,if some one wants to post.) CJR

This is NOT AUTO SEXING, but early sorting of Wild pattern sexes.

Edited by CJR (12/03/10 11:15 AM)

#93006 - 12/03/10 11:32 AM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: CJR]
Kimera Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
I guess my point is this: I know from my farming experience that people piss and moan about having to buy hybrid seeds from large commercial producers like Monsanto because the F1 generation plants from these hybrids produce nothing useful. The same is true of sex-link chicks. Breed them together and you get no visually sexable chicks. But, autosexing chicks produce visually sexable chicks generation after generation. That seems to me to be a valuable trait that Americans who want to have self-sufficient flocks would embrace. The surprise is that they dont' exist in America.

#93008 - 12/03/10 12:45 PM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: Kimera]
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
I think you could come very close with practice and experience in a closed line of Barred Rocks. There is a difference in the head spots between male and female. You could probably do it with Dominiques as well.
1 John 5:11-12

#93009 - 12/03/10 01:40 PM Re: Why are there no autosexing chickens in the USA? [Re: D. Honour]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I don't have my own pictures at the moment(haven't foreseen that I would need them), but I have found useful pictures on the net. In contrary to CJR, it works for me and everybody I know plus some people on the Internet. I will produce some figures with the reservation, that it only concerns my own birds. I don't claim that it works for all flocks in the world, but try for yourself

1)Number of cockerels hatched with such a pattern(eyebrow)= ZERO(out of plus minus 1000)

2)Number of pullets hatched like the chick on the left= ZERO(out of 1000)

3)Note the difference between the 2 chicks.The one on the left: sharply defined head arrow.On the right: blurred pattern and rusty colour.
Number of cockerels among chicks like the one on the right+ light face= 100 %

4) There are some chicks which hatch with marked eyebrow, but it is short and light(kind of see-through). Number of cockerels among the chicks with such an eyebrow + blurred head stripe + rusty colour of the sides of the head = 100%

5) There are very few chicks that hatch kind of intermediate between this signs. They nearly all turn out to be late blooming cockerels

Here is a flock of Altsteirer chicks

Match between lack of eyebrow and big comb= 100%

Flock of Welsumers

The breeder has not had luck here (only 2 pullets , find them)

There is an ancient Polish breed called Zielononozka Kuropatwiana(Polish Green-Legged Patridge) which is 100 % autosexable
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/PartridgeFowl/BRKPartrGrLeg.html

Check also this adress:
http://www.rennmausnico.de/13.html

and guess what the words 'henne' and 'hahn' mean.

I have to add though, that I bought some light brown leghorns from UK, and the differences between the sexes were much less apparent.

The chicks with the eyebrow a la Elizabeth Taylor are always pullets for me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw