Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
#103770 - 05/17/12 01:26 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Are you able to capture some photos from the videos? Unfortunately I don't have the budget to watch too many video frown But your descriptions are good regardless.

With my e+/e+ Modern Game bantam roos, the original breeding stock had purple/green barring last year, we think maybe from change of diet (the breeder mixing in cotton seed oil).

The first batch of sons I hatched were mixed, some with residual purple/green barring, some normal green (as young adults). My original breeding rooster at present is moulting in normal green.

Don't know if due to low light (going on dark), just checked their wing bars & they appear green at present? Will have to check again tomorrow, in bright light.

#103771 - 05/17/12 01:48 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: KazJaps]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Here you are:
Blue sheen on the wing bow

Blue sheen on the wing bow

Green sheen :

#103775 - 05/17/12 04:25 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Thank you smile

That's very unusual the last one. Unusual phaeomelanin tones too. Makes it look like a different sub-species or something. Wouldn't mind having that phenotype in bantams.

The white ear-lobes reminds me of a paper I was just reading:
abstract
Quote:
Mapping the unmapped earlobe pigmentation phenotype supports previous findings that the trait is sex-linked and polygenic.

Analysis of genome-wide structure, diversity and fine mapping of Mendelian traits in traditional and village chickens.
Wragg D, Mwacharo JM, Alcalde JA, Hocking PM, Hanotte O.
Heredity (Edinb). 2012 Mar 7.

*Hadn't realised a sex-linked connection.

#103779 - 05/17/12 03:36 PM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: KazJaps]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

One more picture with a green wing bow. This time the tail has a purplish tinge to it

It has been shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J9NBFrE_k&feature=related

#103844 - 05/23/12 11:58 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Wieslaw]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

While we are at the (green) sheen. There is an old thread where there is a discussion about it(Ron Okimoto was one of the participants). I have made advanced search several times but it cannot find it. Anyway, in this discussion somebody claimed that the 'extremely' green sheen is caused by Mahogany. As far as I recall Ron Okimoto replied that perhaps it was a gene closely linked to it.(But I may remember wrongly. If somebody recalls it, please point this to me). What I want to show is, that it is not necessarily true. The cock on the next picture has most probably Mahogany. Not only is he not extremely green, but also has a very blue wing bow. This whole theory linking gold/Mahogany to the green sheen begins to fall apart in my eyes.

#103908 - 05/28/12 11:51 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Wieslaw]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Just watch the video on the link below. YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE YOUR OWN EYES! Try to spot the salmon breast in this one. WHAT ABOUT THAT?
Try also to observe her spurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVa90VQAm6g&feature=related

(I will make captures for Kazjaps soon)

#103917 - 05/29/12 12:45 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Wieslaw]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Birchen

#103929 - 05/29/12 06:22 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Henk69]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Here are captures:

#103933 - 05/29/12 07:28 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Wieslaw]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Is that a fifth toe?

#103947 - 05/30/12 03:34 AM Re: New mutations in Red Jungle Fowl? [Re: Henk69]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Perhaps, it looks strange. Anyway , in my eyes the bird could pass as some kind of eb-ish too. Here is a quote provided by Kazjaps before:

Quote:
Many other domestic breeds possibly carry other mutants of e+. The only evidence of the occurrence of the mutant eb in the wild state is a female red jungle fowl collected in February, 1908 by L. L. KRIBS near Illigin on the Island of Mindanao, Philippine Islands (University of California, Museum of Vertebrate Zoology Number 30947). It has the adult eb phenotype (dark brown stippled breast) and presumably is of the genotype ebeb.

What puzzles me is: eb mutation was sequenced and it is supposed to contain mutations from both ER and E. I have a difficult time imagining such birds running around on that island without being noticed. So, let me quote Poultch's favourite saying about lightning striking so many times, but not only one place but 3 places AT THE SAME TIME! : how probable would this be???

My point is, there had to be another mutation which made the same
phenotype possible without going through the 'black stages'.
Any comments welcome.

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box