Topic Options
#93252 - 12/15/10 07:28 PM 2010 APA Nationals in Shawnee, Oklahoma
Smooth Mule Online   content
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Did anyone else attend the Nationals last weekend in Oklahoma? My husband and I really enjoyed it. There were 4500 birds there, not including the ones for sale. I got to meet several of my online friends in person for the first time. My husband was particularly interested in the standard Cochin roosters, the giant type. I guess they're all the same but they were certainly larger than any of the standards I've seen before. I may be getting a trio and they will be more for our enjoyment than to raise them. I understand they're a little difficult due to all the fluffy feathering.

If you were at the Nationals, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you all but I plan to go to Shawnee again.

#93369 - 12/18/10 09:33 PM Re: 2010 APA Nationals in Shawnee, Oklahoma [Re: Smooth Mule]
rodriguezpoultry Offline
Feather

Loc: Arkansas
Yes, I was there! I showed my blue and black Langshans. I had hoped there would have been more of a Langshan showing, but I suppose it's about par for the course. I don't think I got to see you, but as for the Cochins, they are standard (largefowl) size. They are bred towards the Standard of Perfection by the APA and are much larger than those that are bred from production strains or directly from hatcheries.

#93437 - 12/21/10 06:48 AM Re: 2010 APA Nationals in Shawnee, Oklahoma [Re: rodriguezpoultry]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
Yes, true standard cochins are much larger than what you will get from hatcheries or even many "breeders". I cringe every time I see an auction on e-bay for "Giant" cochins as it only adds confusion. I have LF and they are no more difficult than any other breed. The foot feathering can get dirty as I allow mine to free range with the rest of the flock but there are no health issues. Those big ol' roosters remind me of big yellow labs trotting around the yard! I love them!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2